Nady 1050 Tube Modification

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellfireStudios

I'm looking to incorporate a 6922/E88CC/6DJ8 tube in my Nady TCM1050 w/ U47-ish mods (actually the circuits pretty close except for the larger x-former coupling cap). After the compelling argument for the tube from FAR, I was wondering two things: 

1) Has there been any attempts/successes with this tube?

2) How to implement the changes to the circuit (I've done some research, but have come up with very vague info)? 

This may help the more knowledgable..

Quoted from Fox Audio Research's website:

"The first thing to say is that the pin out is just different enough that it doesn't work with 6072 wiring but it's only two minor changes."

and

"Techie Note:

The tube socket is wired so that both triodes are working in parallel. This reduces random "shot" noise another 3 dB. With the 1.15 V fixed bias, the combined plate current went from 555 uA with the 6072 to 840 uA so the 6922 is conducting harder as expected with the lower plate resistance. This changes the operating point of the amplifier slightly but voltage at the plate is now 34V which coincidentally is that same as a u47."

Any help in understanding and implementing this technical stuff would be much appreciated.

-James-

Imo, the ECC88 is not suitable for microphone use at all - most of them have way too high a  grid leakage gurrent.

Why not 6072 or a similar microphone-able tube?

Jakob E.

ps: I'm aware that some () manufacturers have used ECC88 for mics over the years, but this still dosn't make it a good candidate for the purpose..

Check out http://www.foxaudioresearch.ca/6922.htm

The tube I intend to use is actually a 6922/E88CC and is supposedly tested better than the 6DJ8 types. I'm trying to get close to the U-47 with the tube socket available (which is a 9-pin 12A_7 variety). Doesn't the Rode K2 use this tube?

The K2 is a different type of design.  I traced my K2 and changed the tube to a 6072a

So, in your opinion, the 6072a is a better tube? Even for the U-47 sound? I'd love to get an EF14 or EF12, but I couldn't fit it in the mic without a complete overhaul of the innards. If there is a tube that can compete with the venerable VF14 in a 12A_7 format, please let me know.

On a slightly different note, I was wondering if it were possible to put a switch on the output coupling cap? I have a 3uF in that position based on public opinion at the time of that build. I see that Neumann uses a 1uF in that spot. Could they be on a switch? Would the mic be capable of being left on when that cap is switched, or would it need to be powered down first? Would the caps need to be fully switched (DPDT) or just the leg coming from the plate (SPDT)? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I wouldn't want to destroy a tube or transformer on an idea.

Hellfirestudios, have you ever changed your tube? I'd love to hear some feedback about using a 6922 into nady 1050.

Cheers,
Manu

There wasn't much info available to proceed with the idea. As such, I'm still using a 6072a. Unfortunately, building gear has kept me from getting to know the sound of my gear I already have. So I have yet to really listen to the U-47ish mic beyond the intitial "is it working" test.
Once my new studio is finally out of the construction phase, I'll be doing thorough tests on all of my "creations."

I'm still interested in finding a more viable VF tube replacement. Since this thread got bumped, anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

-James-

Back