Trying other capsules in U47 type circuit........

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

Anyone tried other capsules in U47 circuit.....It seems people stick to the old designs , I understand if it aint broke dont fix but would be intersting to try something like Tim Cambels CT12 ....In my humble experiments its seems electronics dont make that much difference ( with non EQ circuit I mean) as long as you use good quality components,capsule souind always comes thru......Ive tried ADK vienna (C12 ish capsule) sounds very similar to a whole vienna......tho I havent tries the ADK capsule in Skylar head basket it was in the ADK basket so that could be interesting.......& I tried a Oktava MK101 head again sound sort of sound as with the Oktava Mk012 ( maybe worth try in skylar basket).......tried cheap RK47 in skylar basket didnt really like that so much but I guess tha would have a more 47 ish sound.....Violet Vin 67 lollypop or in skylar basket  sounds best to me tho it was lot of money.....sadly dont have any classic capsules or mics for comparison.....Im not going after a real U47 sound really as dont really know what it sounds like with my voice but so far its seems I dont prefer the smoother mellow vintage sound I guess hence my experiments & preference for the more sparkly sound...

what like to hear of anyones experiments & experiences thanks for reading.......

Gary O.

What are you defining as a U47 type circuit? Mk47 is the only one around here that is close (other than p2p'ing the original ckt) because you can use the specified tubes as a drop in without modifying the heater portion. Circuit wise that is.

I have built the mk47 and the mk7 with q47d's and dales m7's respectively. Both are exceptional and pretty close to eachother re: sonics. I have not swapped capsules around to see the differences in circuits and am very happy with them the way they are.

Never-the-less, I like to experiment and have put together an M49c circuit in a Apex460 body on some perfboard and am working through tweaking the operating points a bit. I've got a set of the chinese c12 style capsules that were recently GB'd here and have compared those with the stock k67 type capsule. I prefer the C12 style over the kk67 style and just emailed Tim about ordering a pair of his CT12's so I hope to hear significant improvements with Tim's capsules in my DIY m49c circuits.

I might also try the CT12's in the mk47/7's but think i'll probably like it so much that I will want to build another set...

Cheers,
jb

I think capsule-impedance converter relation is kind of like mic-preamp pairing. Preamps coloration is minor compared to the mic, but the pre matters nevertheless. And what sounds goos always depends on ones personal taste. If I owned a real U47 and let's say a C12, I couldn't resist swapping the capsules, it would be fun experiment (that's probably done many times before).

And I think U47 type circuit is a very blurry definition.

Yes blurry DIY mic aimed at U47  because with the 47 its virtually impossible to re make as the original using different tubes & DIY or china capsules anyway so yes I mean mics like the Mk47 even MK7 so that what I mean by 47 ish....One thing Im seeing is that kinda 47 is circuit usually gets married with a 47 ish capsule, I can see the logic but was wondering if others have experimented too same thing would apply to say a C12 Ish circuit....

I have a Tim Cambel on order too and cant wait to try it in all my DIY  ish mics

Cheers

One thing Im seeing is that kinda 47 is circuit usually gets married with a 47 ish capsule, I can see the logic but was wondering if others have experimented too same thing would apply to say a C12 Ish circuit...

'Kinda 47' starts with the capsule. K47 or M7, the centre-terminated, single backplate capsule defines the U47 sound.

The triode-wired pentode is significant too, but less so. If you pair a K47/M7 with a triode such as AC701, you have an M49 - it is the capsule itself which does most to make it sound Neumann-esque.

A C12-ish circuit with a K47 will still sound more like a Neumann.

This is why an ELA M251 does not sound like an M49.

Back