Looking for some 40mm dia 1mm wall thickness brass tube

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

Hello,

I'm trying to to find some brass tube 40mm in diameter, with  a wall thickness of 1mm length of 167mm to make a skeleton for the interior of a C12 clone I'm making.  The actual form I'm after can be described as 2 rings 40mm dia, 1mm wall thickness 9mm deep, with 2 straps between them 10mm x 1mm

The trouble in the UK is that most suppliers only seem to supply the tubing in imperial sizes.

I had thought about getting some 1mm sheet brass & trying to fabricate the tube myself, because most of the tube would be scrap by the time I had finished with it.  I'm wondering how easy it would be to fabricate this from accurately from sheet brass.  I have a friend who could probably silver solder the bits together.

Basically, I'm just after some ideas of potential suppliers & tips/thoughts about going the fabrication route.

Hi Rob, I still have to check the exact dimensions, but I think I have a piece of about 1,5 meter long, collected from the trash, probably formerly holding a curtain. Could give away a piece of it for the price of shipping. I kept it for mic body building anyway...
I check it asap and come back to you in one or two days.
Laurent.

pyjaman said:
Hi Rob, I still have to check the exact dimensions, but I think I have a piece of about 1,5 meter long, collected from the trash, probably formerly holding a curtain. Could give away a piece of it for the price of shipping. I kept it for mic body building anyway...
I check it asap and come back to you in one or two days.
Laurent.

Thanks Laurent,that would be very useful if it's the right dimensions.

Rob,

Hopefully the PJ man will see you right.

Failing that, does it need to be brass? Aluminium and steel seem easier to get hold of, certainly a few sellers on ebay doing offcuts at 40 mm.

Failing that, we could look at boring something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160459276077

Hi Stewart,

I hadn't really considered other materials, but it's not a bad idea.  With regards to boring out that lump of brass.  The piece I  need is 167mm long, & I'm guessing that is too long to bore out.

In a nutshell the C12 skeleton is made up of 2 turned pieces, one where you plug the lead in, & the other where the capsule sits.  These are connected together by the 167mm long 40mm dia tube that is cut out so it has just 2 strips either side left.  The bulk of the metal on the tube winds up as scrap.

Hi Rob,
I found a piece of tubing, 40mm OD /1mm wall thickness, leftover from my first tube mic build (with CT12 capsule, see my post here: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=42181.0 ). mounting seems to be the same principle as you describe, except the head is totally different.
the leftover is about 300mm long. I'm too lazy to cut it. PM me your adress if you're interested.
Laurent.

Latest posts

Back