the legendary tg12412

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundsactive

curious if anyone had any experience trying to clone these guys? i know the mysterious abbey road techs have hidden away most of the schematics, but wondering if anyone found any snippets or tried the daunting task of reverse engineering one of these bad boys? my electrical experience is limited at best, but i have a very big interest in this circuit.

How serious are you guys on cloning these?
who would be taking care of cloning it providing the schematics can be found?

Best,
Mattia.

Some time ago, a friend of mine said to me that in this circuit there are many capacitors with inusual (and difficult to find) values and the inductors are different from the ones around for other projects
But he said to me that the sound is really fabulous!

good news  everyone!

schematics have been found.dbask is transfering them to eagle as we speak. the two of us are working on a stereo version and will keep you up dated as we progress.

Hie warpie,
I've just see your topic. It's interesting too.
I've just finish to redrawn the schematics.

I've 2 or 3 three question if you're okay. Via MP?

thank's,
Drask

Fablab said:
Some time ago, a friend of mine said to me that in this circuit there are many capacitors with inusual (and difficult to find) values
Although it is not clearly stated on the schemo, most of the caps are combinations of two separate caps; as an example, the 2.06uF is the combo of a 1.5uF and a 0.56uF.
and the inductors are different from the ones around for other projects
That is a standard paradigm of using real inductors in audio projects: you have to have them purpose-built. You may experiment with off-the-shelf inductors, but in the end, you'll need to have them built for you (Sowter are good at this) or it's a good opportunity to DIY them, which is not difficult at all. You have to familiarise yourself with the available ferrite cores and the relevant calculations (nr of turns and gauge). Then you need some patience if you wind them by hand.

abbey road d enfer said:
Fablab said:
Some time ago, a friend of mine said to me that in this circuit there are many capacitors with inusual (and difficult to find) values
Although it is not clearly stated on the schemo, most of the caps are combinations of two separate caps; as an example, the 2.06uF is the combo of a 1.5uF and a 0.56uF.
and the inductors are different from the ones around for other projects
That is a standard paradigm of using real inductors in audio projects: you have to have them purpose-built. You may experiment with off-the-shelf inductors, but in the end, you'll need to have them built for you (Sowter are good at this) or it's a good opportunity to DIY them, which is not difficult at all. You have to familiarise yourself with the available ferrite cores and the relevant calculations (nr of turns and gauge). Then you need some patience if you wind them by hand.
Hie,
I'm actually looking, for make the inductors myself.
Circuit is already drawn. And waiting inductors for make the PCB.
I took the project when I'm back.
And you're right for the cap combinations :)

rafafredd said:
Hell of a crazy circuit! It should sound good, with that massive amount of multitap inductors. Makes shame on Pultecs.
Oh yes, lot a multitap inductors. I need 6 multitap inductors for build it !
Normally first prototype in one or two month. I just look for make the inductors myself :)
PCB drawning begin soon !

leadbreath said:
sweet, this is looking promising...!
kpearsall said:
very exciting! would be great to have one in the studio!
Yes I think :) I love EMI hardware, and work on this EQ is amazing !
I hope arrive a the end of the project and share it with all people ;) :)

Maybe sowter could make the inductors for whoever won't have the balls to DIY.

By the way, what kind of core are you going to use? Toroids? EI? Permalloy? Iron?

mag met will wind a 80 permalloy torroid,

and then a powder core from magnetics from brazil,

thanks for the langevin iron, rafa,  ;)

rafa is expert on mb1 pultec pre if you are interested,

Latest posts

Back