EQP-1S5 500 series PULTEC ---- HELP/BUILD thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm, not really sure, but I would guess if it had high DC offset he would list that in the specs.  I'll sent him a PM so let's see what he says, but the 2520 and melcor will work for sure.

cheers!

Hi,

so I heard back from PPA, his answer is that it will work very well.  In fact, he even said you could send it back for a refund in case you try it and it doesn't work! How's that for customer service!

cheers!

Hi,

just got back from a gig, this is very good news. That is indeed superb customer service!
I' m gonna go that route with PPA. And you Sir, a BIG thank you for your customer support, going through
the hassle to contact Pier, something you really didn' t have to do, but you did, wow!!!
I' m stunned with admiration!!

Best regards
Magnus

No problem Magnus, let us know how you like the EQP-1S5. 

Just an update with some cool news... As I mentioned in the WM thread, we have been building the EQP-1S5 for some very well respected producers/engineers with our "huntington" 2520 (so it's a 100% exact replica of the original Pultec EQP-1A3, but with extra frequencies), all of whom have loved the EQ and are using it on mix bus duty as well as kick, bass, guitars and vocals with amazing results, beating out original valve Pultecs in many cases  :eek:

Which is all very cool and makes the last couple of years of research/prototyping all worth it.

Another very cool bit of news is that the complete/built EQP-1S5 is now VPR Approved(!). 

Thanks to everyone who has ordered, built, and is using their EQ!!

cheers!

I have a GAR 2520 in both of mine and they sound terrific! Look back a couple pages... I posted a pic on page 3 as well.

Found your pics!  Nice!
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48328.msg611900#msg611900

Glad you like the EQs, they were a labor of love...

cheers!

Damn it!!!
These eq' s are like dope! They' re sooo nice. And all the extra frequencies make them really flexible.
I now have two with GAR 2520 and two with PPA's APP992 opamps.
Pier' s opamp works very well in these and gives them even a smoother and silkier top end. Great to have both.
So easy to build and at such a great price, what can I say....
A BIG THANK YOU and congratulations to the VPR approval!!
I want more of these...

Kind regards
Magnus

Great to hear you are enjoying your EQs!  nice to hear about PPA's opamps as well. 

Production on the next batch is in full swing, we should have more news soon!

cheers!

Does the kit include all the components like transformer, knobs, caps, resistors, front plate, pos etc?

Hi Mike,

Yes the kit includes everything to complete the EQ, minus a discrete opamp. We did make and include an adapter PCB to use your own 5534 or other single IC opamp (and a couple other parts, see build guide), or, better, you can use any 2520 footprint opamp, provided it has low DC offset. The original used an API 2520 and our fully built units come with a fully tested, discrete 2520, besed on the 1970s varieties.

cheers!

Just a short message to say how much I like my pair.
Tried gar1731 and  gar2520,both worked fine,I "think" I prefer the 1731.
Tested them next to/against my pair of TubeTech peq1b and pair of Psidex peq1(Old World Audio), and I think they are on par with the latter.Despite the tube-discrete difference  ::). Good news,in my book.
I will surely want another pair when the new batch shows up, for they are indeed addictive!

Thanks once again Niels and Dimitri !!

cheers
Pieter

pidah said:
Just a short message to say how much I like my pair.
Tried gar1731 and  gar2520,both worked fine,I "think" I prefer the 1731.
Tested them next to/against my pair of TubeTech peq1b and pair of Psidex peq1(Old World Audio), and I think they are on par with the latter.Despite the tube-discrete difference  ::). Good news,in my book.
I will surely want another pair when the new batch shows up, for they are indeed addictive!

Thanks once again Niels and Dimitri !!

cheers
Pieter

ass soon as they're available I'm in as well :)

BTW: Pieter, how does the unit compare to tubetech's peq1b / manley eqs / overall compatibility to the mix-bus thickness? 

Well,they are surely family of the tube-techs,close relatives mayhaps, but sound more like the Psidex's.
Which is excellent,since I love those more than the Tubetechs.
Nice and air-y,great lows,yummy on the bus,thus.
They sound not like the Manley,logically,different beasts.

So far I've used them on bass, HardRock guitar.. :) ,snare,kick,and fixing a vst synth. Awesome!
I have yet to try them on a 2mix.

Cheers
Pieter

pidah said:
Well,they are surely family of the tube-techs,close relatives mayhaps, but sound more like the Psidex's.
Which is excellent,since I love those more than the Tubetechs.
Nice and air-y,great lows,yummy on the bus,thus.
They sound not like the Manley,logically,different beasts.

So far I've used them on bass, HardRock guitar.. :) ,snare,kick,and fixing a vst synth. Awesome!
I have yet to try them on a 2mix.

Cheers
Pieter

To me, it'd be a great tool to either use it on the two bus and boost kick / snare as well as removing old / adding new body to electric guitars.

I used my EQs today in a session for taming and enhancing a snare drum dynamic. I must say we were all pretty happy with the results.

great to hear that people are using their EQs!!! awesome!

They work awesome on the mix, on vocals, guitar, kick/snare, etc.  Can't get enough of this thing!

The new batch is getting closer, and we should have some more news soon!

Axelerator said:
if you ever decide to make a stereo version maybe with stepped gain.......
mmmh.. ::) :p
greets !
axel
funny, that's how this EQ started out... as a 1U, stepped boost/cut.. I did a layout with Lorlin/alpha switches that still exists... in fact, I'm finishing up the last version (2U dual mono) as we speak (but with pots, cuz I'm too lazy to match out resistors!  8) )  If the faceplate is ready tomorrow, I'll post some pics.

cheers!

As promised, here is a picture of the 2U pultec. The PCBs are set up for switches for stepped boost/cut, but this particular one has pots.

Attachments

• pultec_2U.jpg
    pultec_2U.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 158
Back