Coil Windings

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

Just wondering if theres a formula to figure out the amount of coil windings one should have if building a dynamic mic.  Is it dependent on magnet size or diaphragm size wire gauge, all of the above?

Also, would it be better to have a diametrically charged magnet or regular?

Not trying to build one, im just interested in the math or lack thereof behind it. I like to experiment with different theories and ideas and this had come up with no answer to be found anywhere.

Hello !!!
You find a lot of different Moving Coil Mic Concepts out there.The Coils may have a dc resistance(in this cases it represents the Outputimpedance of the Coil, I think?.)varies from 10 to 600 ohm ,so a big difference in Coilturns,Wiresize and Weight .A few turns glued on a big Diagramm,10 ohms  than feed into a step up Transformer for 200/600 or even 50k output for hify Tape machine mic input(Mics like the Sm58,RE 20 etc have a capsuleimpedance of a few 10 ohms,than feed into a stepuptransformer for 150/200 ohm Output), or much more turns on a small Diagramm with 600 ohm Out, etc .A blank dynamic Mic capsul hold in the Air sounds crappy    freq response 100-5kHz with many peaks and dips.    so,exssesive mechanical eq like the use of a resonantdisc,ventilation holes, a resonating Grilldesign for the Highboost and flatening,Resonating Tubes in the Body for Bassboost, etc (sometimes 6-7 different resonators-Dampers are build in a single Mic.)  is required for more or less flat freq response .The Magnet used is important as well.The stronger the more Output ,but also has a influence in Sound(Modern neodym    high output but can sound harsh sometime , very fast attacs,Alnico -lower Output can sound very musical) the size is a factor too. The bigger the Magnet, the bigger- thicker the diagramm,more mass , more output because of the bigger Coil -Magnetic field,theoretical but more damping is required to control the move of the Diagramm ,slower Transientresponse ,when you reach the size of the Soundwave  like  10k = 3.4 cm you can create a accustical short on the Diagramm  ,greater Soundshadow from behind ,worse off axis behave etc.So it s like most of the time a compromise you get 1 thing better,you discrease the other parameter.
.In the the old days they had 2 way mics with 2 optimised capsule size, with a phase/ corrected L C  Network and passive summing (Telefunken M611/811, Akg 221 etc) with Freq ,phase,Transient Response and off axis sound almost like a Condenser.They also don t have a proximity effect because for the Bass they use a pressure and for the mid-high a pressuregradient capsule.Today a Mic like this would cost probably a few $$$$ because it s a lot of aktion to desingn ,to get the Mechanical and electronic Parts together- probably hand mounted -alignment ,needs to be accurate like a Swiss Clock.
Greatings from Berlin
Sorry for my bad written english.
Lothar

Your english is fine.  :) So basically you're saying that size matters for the coil impedance then the transformer steps it up and changes that impedance. And the body/grill (physical properties of the mic) can help determine the frequency response.  Very interesting.

I've been reading Microphones: Design and Application by Lou Burroughs (Electro Voice guy...) and there is a lot of detail on how dynamic microphones are made. Goes into a lot of detail on mechanical EQ.

There a PDF book from the Neumann website which is the only accurate and useful tome on mike design I've come across.

Also "Microphone Engineering Handbook" - ed. Gayford from the Unobtainium Book Co.

http://www.leonaudio.com.au/cohen.htm has the chapter on preamps.

Latest posts

Back