diy foundry... any experience?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantlack

a few years back i added sand and lost wax casting to my 'can do' list, but don't exactly have a smelter handy at home  :eek:
i recall using a diy setup made from a chopped up old propane tank and refractory materials on one occasion.  there are some similar assemblies to be found on these here internets, but i was wondering if anyone has any hands-on experience with a successful setup.  i'd mainly be using it for aluminum, but would love to have a go at brass if i can achieve the higher melting point.

they had a furnace in my junior high shop class that we used to cast aluminum--in iowa--doubt they still do that with liability issues etc.

+1 yup, did some aluminum casting back in HS... we used coal fire, with electric blower to burn fire hotter.

In the US you may get a visit from the EPA for burning that dirty coal.  8)

JR

There are lots of websites and youtube videos on the backyard foundry... I though about having a go at cymbal making for a while, but it's the other large machinery that's the problem for me. Most use propane furnaces made with refractory cement formed with buckets/etc... You can also make your crucible out of refractory materials as well, but count on it wearing out a lot quicker than a graphite one. (but at only a few dollars a piece to make, you should have a slew of them)

Latest posts

Back