First project with Classic API and Sound Skulptor 73 -song contest

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernois

My girlfriend and I entered a song contest, which we made short list in. There's now an online voting phase, so check it out, and help out if you can. Or just check out the tune.
I recorded the tune using Jeffs 26's on drum overheads, and a lot of the other stuff went through a Sound Skulptor 73 clone. I'm so pleased with both of these pre's. The 73 has really turned into my go to for vocals and bass. A transformerless 57 seems to love it! Plus it's a nice build with great support.
The song also features a fuzz curcit that I put togeather, plus a 5E3 deluxe DIY as well. It seems once you catch the DIY bug, things spiral out of control really fast!

Anyhow check it out, and give us a leg up if you can.
Thanks, Gavin

http://wearealberta.ca/OurCommunities/Sponsorships/AllAlbertanSongContest/AprilSchoonmakerandGavinDunn/tabid/247/Default.aspx

nice song...well balanced and nice tones.
however i think the 57 has a transformer if correct.
thanks.

3nity said:
however i think the 57 has a transformer if correct.

From Recording Hacks:

What are popular mods for the SM57?

Remove the transformer. This is a 15-minute mod that was described in detail in the Mar/Apr 2006 issue (#52) of TapeOp; essentially, use boiling water or a heat gun to soften the glue holding the transformer in the bottom half of the mic body (note: do not boil the capsule), then connect the wires from the XLR jack straight to the capsule.

This mod is reported to extend the frequency range of the mic, especially at the low end. It reduces the midrange honk. Some modders claim it improves transient response. However, it lowers the mic’s output by about 10dB (perhaps making it unsuitable for quiet sources).

Another downside to the mod is that transformerless SM57s may be damaged by phantom power… although subsequent analysis questions the veracity of this threat.

Replace the transformer. The easiest way to do this is to buy the replacement transformer designed specifically for this mod, from TAB-Funkenwerk (MSRP $89): TAB-Funkenwerk transformer mod for SM57/SM58.

Read more: http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Shure/SM57#ixzz1sXSfURDc

-Casey

Back