Racking AMR 2400 or AMR 800 channel strips

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewYorkDave

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum. Things have changed since I was a regular here.

I'll start off by saying that racking channel strips is something I haven't gotten into much because I always had a distaste for the practice of parting out nice old consoles for their "kewl mic pres." But I'm facing a situation where this might be an option I ought to consider.

Recently, a friend of mine passed away unexpectedly at the age of 44. He ran a recording studio for about 25 years and leaves behind a large collection of gear, which I am currently assisting in cataloguing so that it may be sold to raise money for a scholarship in his name. The centerpiece of the control room is an AMR 2400 and there's also a partially dismantled/incomplete AMR 800 in the storage room. I recorded several songs with my late friend over the last year, all of which were tracked through the 2400, and it's a GREAT-sounding console that's a pleasure to operate. I'd buy it if I had the money and the space.

In the event (unlikely, I hope) that we can't find a local buyer willing to pay a reasonable price for the consoles and pick them up, and it turns into a choice between parting them out or letting them end up in a landfill, I'm considering the purchase of some of the modules because I'd love to have a few channels to use in recording my own projects in the future. Again, I'd rather have the whole console, but that's just not an option for me.

My question is, have any of you racked (or know of someone who has racked) the channel strips from these consoles? I'm sure I could figure it out on my own, but having some idea of the relative feasibility and difficulty of the project is always nice to start - especially if I'm trying to encourage other people to buy channels as well.

By the way, the consoles are located about 90 minutes north of NYC, just in case any potential buyers are reading this.

Thanx for your input.

Hi Dave,

it's nice to hear, that there are some more AMR lovers in the world  :)

I am using an AMR 2400 in my Home Studio and believe it or not, i also have a dismantled AMR 800 in my storage room  8)

Cause i am using the console, i never tried to rack up channel strips. So i am no great help on this.
But if you are missing schemos, i am sure, i can help you.

Good luck
Wolfgang

Thanks, Wolfgang. I believe he had the books for the consoles, but I haven't had a chance to look for them yet. Even if the consoles sell intact and I don't end up with any of the channels, I might still want to build a homebrew someday based on that preamp circuit. Along with quality mics and the MOTU 24i/o interface he was using, those pres made for some great-sounding tracks.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I consider your comments a high compliment. No I am not aware of anybody racking these channel strips.

It's been a while since I thought about these, but let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help with...  The input strips out of the 800 are the same as the 2400 with the only difference being the number of assignment switches at the bottom of the strip to feed more buses. 

Besides the mic pre, I was also very happy with the EQ section.

JR

PS: That console was more than 40" deep fully trimmed out with wrist rest et al, so it is not going to fit in a 19" rack without major surgery. You could probably bolt a few strips together and lay then on their side on top of a rack, or something like that.

Back