[BUILD] CAPI LC53A~500 Series~Love Child EQ Kit~Official Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff thank you for the quick responses and awesome patience. I can get in and out of the the DAW and monitor that way easily. I think perhaps most of my confusion stems from the different possibilities displayed on getting this calibration done. So far my usage of the DMM has been limited to testing resistors. I can check ohms on a resistors like nobodies business but have no idea what it all means.  Ha!  That being said I will gladly stay away from that method of calibration.

Ok so once I send the sine wave out of protools into my op amps and then back into protools, what am I looking for as I tweek the trim component? In other words how will I know I have calibrated it?  Once again thank you for your patience!

jsteiger said:
Yeah for some reason I have had a bad few. Only a few though. If they are bad, they are shorted internally. There should be no "in between".

I just finished building 1 of 2 kits I ordered.  It looks like I have at least one bad C23 as well.  I read through the thread and noticed a few others have this problem, so I removed it first after doing the continuity tests, and sure enough the boomy high shelf at 7k went away.  I temporarily swapped in one of the 68nf from the other kit, and the 7k shelf seems to be fine now.

What's odd is the "bad" C23 measures fine on my fluke 287, but perhaps this isn't a sure fire way to make sure a cap is good?

Also, what are the symptoms if  the 68nf in C28 would also be faulty?  It looks like there are a few bad 68nf floating around out there, I just want to make sure I can verify these caps are good somehow.

I guess I need to get at least 1 replacement from you at this point.

Yeah there are a few out there. A bad one will measure very low DCR almost a short from lead to lead.

jsteiger said:
Yeah there are a few out there. A bad one will measure very low DCR almost a short from lead to lead.

OK that makes sense.  There's definitely continuity from lead to lead on the bad capacitor.  I'll shoot you an email.

Cheers,

- B

jsteiger said:

Hey Jeff,

Does C23 have any effect on the 10k shelf?  I've been testing the 2nd unit ( without C23 for now) and the 10k shelf doesn't seem to boost much.. it's almost like it's at +2db when the level is at +10db.  The peak 10k mode seems to be fine.

-B

jsteiger said:
No it shouldn't. The 10k shelf is C28||C29 with R14 after them in series to gnd.

Ah, I just took apart the unit and realized what I did.  I left C28 out  instead of C23... I'll check it again when the replacement 68nf arrives.

Replacement 68nf cap arrived today.  Popped it in and everything is back to normal.  Thanks Jeff!

-B

So just got done with two of these beauties. One of them worked 100% the other sounded fine just the output was about -15db weaker. Looked through everything and switched all the amps between the two and still nothing changed.

I switched the output transformer and seems to be the issue. The weaker output is around 4.2ohms on the Gray-Violet and the green-blue secondary windings, but on the louder eq all windings are 8.5 like they should be.

Just looking for some confirmation on if this seems like it is the problem.

Please send me an email with the order # and I will get you a replacement shipped today. jsteiger1965 at yahoo

Hi Everyone,

Quick question...

Currently using one of Jeff's VP28 preamps and a Great River MP-500NV for a small home system.
Would the LC53A be a good eq for male and female vocals?
Interest is blues, crooner, and rock from 60-80's.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Mac

Latest posts

Back