woolie

Re: [BUILD] CAPI LC53A~500 Series~Love Child EQ Kit~Official Support Thread
« Reply #440 on: September 06, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »
I was wondering if you have any guidance for building your little test rig with the JLM Powerstation? Seems very prudent/handy to have a rig to test devices.

Potato Cakes

« Reply #441 on: September 06, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »
Hello,

I got home, swapped resistors, cut the leads down again. Both units working great. Love your work, Jeff.

Thanks!

Paul

Potato Cakes

« Reply #442 on: September 06, 2016, 11:49:23 AM »
I was wondering if you have any guidance for building your little test rig with the JLM Powerstation? Seems very prudent/handy to have a rig to test devices.

Did you see the previous post with the edge connector pinout? Just connect the proper voltages to the correct pin then wire in a male and female XLR (in/out) also to the correct pins and then you should be great. Make sure you adjust your Powerstation to the correct voltages beforehand.

Thanks!

Paul

« Reply #443 on: September 07, 2016, 11:58:19 PM »
I have a pair of these working for the past year, but one has just started making a crackling sound. Unit still passes audio, EQ functions well, everything seems as normal but theres a crackling. Occasionally there will be a rather large peak, which looking at the waveform, they come in twos, one positive, one negative then just crackling for a minute then another pair of large peaks.

Ive taken the board apart, crackling is still present without the freq selection board, still present without op amps, I've reflowed most of the joints, still crackling no matter what. Any ideas?

Potato Cakes

« Reply #444 on: September 08, 2016, 12:46:18 AM »
Does it still do it when unsoldered from the CB board (JP3-1)?

Thanks!

Paul

« Reply #445 on: September 08, 2016, 04:47:51 PM »
Does it still do it when unsoldered from the CB board (JP3-1)?

I just unsoldered the CB board from the trafo/doa board and recorded the output of just the trafo/doa board for a while, no crackling, no random spikes. Very interesting, must be something in the CB board. Thank you so much for the suggestion, nice to narrow it down to a single board at least.

« Reply #446 on: September 08, 2016, 10:40:15 PM »
Connected the CB board only of the crackling unit to the doa/trafo board of my other fully functional unit and there is crackling. I can now completely confirm it is just the CB board causing the crackling.

Any ideas beyond solder joints that can cause crackling and random spikes? Still trying to learn the deep nature of troubleshooting audio circuits.

Potato Cakes

« Reply #447 on: September 09, 2016, 07:20:23 PM »
No worries. It's a little more of a pain to remove A1-4 on the CB PCB on the Rev A since they are not socketed, but my bets on one of those guys. If you could find out which order they are in from output to input and work that way you should be able to find it. Also, have you seen the voltage test points for that board?

http://www.capi-gear.com/catalog/images/gallery/LC53A/Build-docs/Rev_B/9_CAPI-LC53A-Rev-B-Test-Points.pdf

Thanks!

Paul

woolie

« Reply #448 on: September 10, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »

Did you see the previous post with the edge connector pinout? Just connect the proper voltages to the correct pin then wire in a male and female XLR (in/out) also to the correct pins and then you should be great. Make sure you adjust your Powerstation to the correct voltages beforehand.

Thanks!

Paul

I found the pinouts you were referring to. TY. As to the 'correct voltage', any ideas where I could find those? Sorry for the n00b questions.

Potato Cakes

« Reply #449 on: September 15, 2016, 01:55:47 AM »
http://www.capi-gear.com/catalog/images/gallery/LC53A/Build-docs/Rev_B/9_CAPI-LC53A-Rev-B-Test-Points.pdf

All the information for all of Jeff's modules are listed at the bottom of the CAPI website under support docs.

Thanks!

Paul

Hi guys,

I just build 2 LC53a's. One works perfect, the other has a problem with 1 frequency: 1,5k. If a boost/cut at that frequency nothing happens. Any starting points were to start looking?

Thanks!

Peter

jsteiger

I just build 2 LC53a's. One works perfect, the other has a problem with 1 frequency: 1,5k. If a boost/cut at that frequency nothing happens. Any starting points were to start looking?
Peter, the following points are involved for the 1.5k freq. All are on the LC-EP PCB.
1. Grayhill SW3, the 3rd pin in from the end where the wiper pin is located, this is connected to:
2. Caps C16 and C17 in parallel, which then go to:
3. The .25H pin on inductor L3.

I would first look for a bad solder joint on one of these.
Visit the CAPI store at http://www.capi-gear.com

CAPI is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by API.

thanks!

Peter