need a quick reply abut phantom power and non condenser mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

Im doing a sound gig tonight, and found out that the mixer (crap) that ill be using only has a universal phantom power switch on it (for all channels) suffice to say, i will NOT be bring any ribbons with me, but I wanted to know what i should do about the dynamic mics that are being used... should i engage the 48v AFTER all the mics are plugged in and ready, is there no danger?  I have a few small condensers that are being used as overheads and i think one of the vocal mics is a condenser as well.  Thanks

You should be OK.. most such gear is designed to tolerate being hot plugged, while it is always good practice to mute the channels...

The bigger stress to the electronics comes from transient shorts to already charged phantom caps which mostly occurs in studio patchbays.

I  ASSume all your dynamic mics are XLR balanced? Hot plugging an unbalanced T-S mic could be stressful.

JR

Thanks, gig went well... except there were 2 channels on the board where the XLR input was totally hosed.  (they had 16 channels and i needed 15 of em) so i had a mic pre in the main rack that i hooked the mic into, and ran the line out of that into the line in of the board which was fine... (phew)  but thanks for the responses, and that video was interesting...

Latest posts

Back