Output Attenuator

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alkooloid

Hi-
2nd time with this - I DID get a weird error message.
Anyhow, I have some mic pres in a box called the Altec/Lansing
1678B mic mixer. They have trafo coupled inputs w/ direct outs,
phantom switches and a switch per input that allows going between
two input levels. I like the sound of them (kind of gooey) but the level at the direct outs is HOT. Is there something I could build that would tame them down? I have checked out the various threads on pads and plan to build some but pushing the front of things is kind of a hobby of mine and so I could
use an output attenuator on some of my more colorful pre's for a little
saturation. Thanks a million and this forum is a godsend.

Al

:green:

Actually, in this case, a 10K audio-taper pot would do just fine. I looked at the schematic for a similar model, 1678C, and the direct outs are unbalanced with a source impedance of about 100 ohms.

Yeah, the bridged-T I posted was for circuits that need to see a constant impedance of 600 ohms in/out for whatever reason (e.g., transformer-coupled outputs that are sensitive to loading, equalizer circuits that need a solid "termination", etc.). The 1678's direct outputs come off an op-amp via a series resistor and would be just as happy (if not happier) driving a higher impedance. These direct outs are rated (by Altec) as being about to drive 600 ohms, so my bridged-T would work, but a pot is less trouble and should work as well in this particular case.

Thanks so much for the information.
It's amazing to me that people of such obvious expierience and talent are
so free with it. Makes me think the world is not TOTALLY made up of jerks after all.

Al

Latest posts

Back