Trident A-Range "Channel Strip"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno2000

Greetings Folks,
Here's the latest addition to my "700 Series" projects.  A Trident A-Range mic pre and EQ.  The input transformer is a Sowter, the inductors are from ChrioN, and the output transformer is an old Jensen.  Special thanks to Dan for his help in de-ciphering some very old drawings.  These are true to the original circuit, with some minor gain structure changes, and the addition of one frequency per band.  There may be some partial kits available, and if/when that happens, I'll post in the white market.
Best,
Bruno2000

TridentFront100NoL.jpg

TridentTop100.jpg

TridentBottom100.jpg

Indecline said:
wow! awesome job!!  8)

is there line input on this puppy?

No line input as such.  Seems nobody makes a quality 20-24 position 90 degree PC mount switch that would be necessary.  My solution to the line input is to engage the pad, and feed the line level signal into the mic input.  You could always modify the pad for whatever input impedance and loss you wanted.
Best,
Bruno2000

Joechris said:
Speeachless!! I want one. Do you power these with 40V? What is the front size of the 700 series?

I have been using the 51X power transformer and regulator board to power all of my "700 Series" builds. They put out +/- 16V +/- 24V, and +48V for Phantom Power.  To that, I add a small +24V supply for the relays. 

The rail Voltages for the Tridents are 44V and 24V, obtained by using the -24V supply as "ground" within the board, then regulating the addition of the +24V down to 44V for the output stages.

The panels are 2" wide x 7" high, so you can easily fit 8 of them in a standard 4U card cage.
Best,
Bruno2000

Bruno,

Curious, I have never heard of the 700 series? Is this a new system or old system? Where do you find the enclosures for them??

The story of the 700 series goes like this.  A friend and I were dumpster diving when we came upon these 2 card cages that we think held some dbx 310D noise reduction modules.  At that time, I wanted to build some compact Neve clones to go into my Remote Truck.  These card cages seemed to lend themselves very well to my project.  They were deeper and taller than the 500 series, so I could use a larger circuit board, there were more "fingers" available for power and I/O, and the front panels were 2"x7" rather than 1.5"x 5.25" so there was more room for controls.  So far my projects in this format have been mic pres and full EQs in this compact package.  Now, admittedly, I've got a bunch of stuff crammed into a small space, but that's my Remote Truck mentality.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=40610.msg503046

Once I had these done, why not build some other "Vintage" clones to fill up the empty spaces?  So, I started working on the APIs,
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=46630.msg586579#msg586579
and then the Tridents.  I'm working on some other modules as well.

I am not sure who made these cages I found (all of the hardware is metric), but I have seen empty 4U card cages on eBay for not very much money.  I have another friend who "converted" a dbx 216 rack to accept these modules as well.  There are probably quite a few unused dbx 216 racks out there collecting dust.

There' s no reason one could not spread the front panels out a little with outboard switches and pots, in fact, a forum member is doing just that right now.

Understand that this was NOT a commercial endeavor, and I am not trying to establish a new standard.  I pretty much just build things to use myself, but if someone else wants to give it a go, that's OK with me.

Best,
Bruno2000

I have a question about the knobs you use one the Grayhill switches. The ident on some has a position dead vertical and others at plus or minus 15 degrees from the vertical. By default, the Grayhills with their D shaped spindles end up with most switches pointing plus or minus 15 degrees to the vertical. How did you get the vertically aligned ident ones to work?

Cheers

Ian

Back