Changing microphone 3pin xlr to 7

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkymonksf

I am looking at some options to house Max's mk-47 kit. I have found a couple bodies that may do the job, but they are transistor condenser and have only 3pin xlr connections, obviously. Is there a way to fit a 7 pin connector in there? Has any of you done this before? If at all possible I'd prefer to add an amphenol connector, preferably the 691series, same as skylars eq-47body, but xlr always work.

Advice is oh so very welcomed

Thank you,
Brice

Hi, yep should be able to screw in :eek: the screw that holds the xlr 3 pin connector in the mic and then slide it out and buy a xlr 7 pin  male connector and slide it in. Haven't seen a (cheap chinese) mic yet that this trick doesn't work

Depends on the mic body, but I followed some guidance on TapeOp for the Royer mods. The Switchcraft A5M male plugs work well. For the Royer it's a 5 pin, but I don't see why it wouldn't work otherwise with an A7M. The screw is clockwise to loosen. then the assembly should slide out on both the donor mic and the A7M. This was a breeze with a MXL 2001 and Switchcraft A5M.

Hi Brice,
Skylar's body uses a Binder connector. If you read the whole MK47 build thread, there's a post  where etiefenthaler hacked his T-Bone mic to accept a screw in panel mount male Binder.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=41379.msg563637#msg563637

He had to do some serious modding to the area where the shockmount screws on (the threads that surround the stock 7 pin xlr) effectively removing it. Then he welded the end cap to the cylindrical body and mounted the male binder at the end of it with 2 screws.

On my T-Bone I removed the stock 7 pin (the way abechap explained) then I bored out the xlr hole so I could mount my male Amphenol (not Binder) to the mic. The shockmount threads are left intact on mine. I used this part:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=T_3477_000virtualkey52360000virtualkey523-T3477-000

I soldered my wires to the Amphenol connector then fed them through to threaded end of the mic base. I then JB Welded the male 7 pin to the mic base. It's a good solution for me and saved me hacking the mic base and a bunch of money  :)
Here is a photo

Attachments

• amphenol.jpg
    amphenol.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back