what will make a nice next project?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mich

hi,
the bug of diy is not leting go....
can someone recomend a nice next project, after building the green pre,api 312,g1176,gssl?
im using this equipment for my own recordings at home-i record into harddisk with M-AUDIO- 4 in 4 out soundcard,using sonar.
what will u build next?

Something tube would be excellent !!! You'll get a much softer midrange. I've just started using several tube mic pres, and I find that by using a combination of solid state and tube stuff, a different sonic imprint gets put on each instrument, and the mix comes together that much easier.

So yea, go for the G9 !!!

And do you have any pics of the 312... I'm working on a pair right now.

a homemade turntable might be fun... more craftsmanship than electronics.

edit: oh i guess that's not really usfull for home recording. go for G9! :guinness:

so a tube thingy ha...... :grin: softer midrange....why not.....
a turn table......got one....
some pics:

http://perso.wanadoo.es/mayanovich/api1.jpg
http://perso.wanadoo.es/mayanovich/api2.jpg
http://perso.wanadoo.es/mayanovich/api3.jpg

thanks for the input :thumb:

Wasn't clear from the first post whether you'd built all those things or just the green pre at the head of the list.
If that is the case, I'd say the most useful thing would be the g1176 for tracking, no lack of solid midrange there either.

How about one of those Telefunken preamps V72S V76?
Somebody around here did have a go - the schematics are on the web and Sowter sell some V74 transformers
If you did it I would follow closely with interest

from mich:
http://perso.wanadoo.es/mayanovich/api1.jpg
http://perso.wanadoo.es/mayanovich/api2.jpg
http://perso.wanadoo.es/mayanovich/api3.jpg

Hey, API & OEPs ? Does that work ? How does it sound ? Got some schematics to share ?

Bye,

Peter

Hey, API & OEPs ? Does that work ? How does it sound ? Got some schematics to share ?

sure it works.and it sound great to me...the schematic i used is the api 312 mic preamp that is all over the place...i used the oep 1+1:6.45+6.45 for the input and the 1+1:2+2 for the output.
comparing to the green pre it sounds fat in a nice way...the opamp is the melcor from peter c.

tube flanger :shock:

Well, besides my never-ending process of experimenting with mic pres, I'm currently laying out a pcb for the What compressor using 5532s and TL074s in my (not so) spare time. Reading about the What's design and hearing the audio samples convinced me that I needed a couple of channels to play with. I was going to build a version of the 1176 next, but decided that for now I need something quick and cheap.

I have five channels built, two of which were for my nephew but he no longer wants them as he is using something really fancy, so I intend to try 2 in series for more serious compression. Incidentally these beasts work very well on 2 PP3 batteries............BUT NOT FOR SERIOUS STUDIO WORK THOUGH....
Stephen

from mich:
sure it works.and it sound great to me...the schematic i used is the api 312 mic preamp that is all over the place...i used the oep 1+1:6.45+6.45 for the input and the 1+1:2+2 for the output.
comparing to the green pre it sounds fat in a nice way...the opamp is the melcor from peter c.

Thanks - this looks like a nice in-between project - I have the OEPs already - will try to find those melcor 1731 PCBs.

How did you wire the OEPs ? I read at Fabio's something about OEPs & bass-response ( http://www.thediypill.phx.com.br/diy_api312.htm ) but it sounds like your unit does fine.

#4 ok like #1, but the ouput TX give that some different sound. The output is Lynx Audio AT600/600, made here in Brasil. Lots of bottom but the OEP on input don't let the bass in so... :)

But now back to your thread-topic :wink:

im using this equipment for my own recordings at home-i record into harddisk with M-AUDIO- 4 in 4 out soundcard,using sonar.
what will u build next?

How about some various smaller 'utility' stuff for now - to complement your already built goodies. I'm thinking of a few passive stepped attenuators (NewYorkDave-drawings), I figure they might come in handy to (over-)drive the output-TXs of your various gear and then attenuate it back to usable levels for your soundcard.

Uhh, or an M-S-box ?

Bye,

Peter

Peter,

The bass with OEP is very good, just not as good as with Cinemag... :)

OEPs are cool!
Hey Mich, are you potting those Melcor or just covering them with a plastic box?
Was wondering if that is a block of fiber resin...

:sam:
Fabio

Thanks Fabio !

The bass with OEP is very good, just not as good as with Cinemag... :)
OK, so I should just start with A262A3E , OP627 , A262A2E and replace one of these as I go along - getting me a nicer (at least 'different') pre each time.

BTW, I just stumbled on the whole API-thing - are all windings for the A262A3E & A262A2E in series ? (each)

OEPs are cool!
That's cool they're cool - I mean, these are the TXs I can get the most easily here.

Thanks,

Peter

Pete,

Just do some testing to see if the OPA627 is capable to play the OEP output trafo... And try also the OPA637, I like it better, but it´s not unity gain stable.

Tamas have a great solution with OPA+BUF634, I recommend you to search for it on the forum. This one can drive the transformer easily!
I like it a lot!

cheers!
Fabio

fiber resin......... :grin: no.........i wish.....
that was just for fun......an earings box......it fitted.....

How about some various smaller 'utility' stuff for now - to complement your already built goodies. I'm thinking of a few passive stepped attenuators (NewYorkDave-drawings), I figure they might come in handy to (over-)drive the output-TXs of your various gear and then attenuate it back to usable levels for your soundcard.

Uhh, or an M-S-box ?

sounds fun! could u elaborate a bit more on driving the output tx?

and what is an m-s box? :oops:

cheers.

Hi Fabio,

Thanks for the OP627-warning.

If I start adding more stuff I guess I better go 1731 right away ? I have a few '627's around, but BC550's etc are quickly obtained as well. But I can imagine the DOA doesn't have to sound the best because it's a DOA and looks cool... How would you compare the 1731 vs IC-versions ?

Thanks,

Peter

Mich,

I got some fiber resin here, hope it doesn´t destroy the circuit :)

Pete,

Melcor sounds very interesting. Sounds, mellow, ´old´, vintage, whatever you call slow slew rate and bandwidth... :)

The OPA+637 thingy sounds more precise, like Forssell992 opamp, very close but with I hear a more pleasant bot and top end on the 992.

Latest posts

Back