Sontec: hardware bypass, balanced THAT I/O, MS, power supply - at one PCB!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igor

Mm... OK. Topic name says it all.

This PCB simplifies the life, less wiring, and adds MS/hardware bypass to Sontec.

As well, 2 opt's - +/-18 or 24V op-amps for filters, if somebody like to use here 5532's or 2134's.

DOA's are powered from +/-24V; MS, balanced line receivers/drivers are powered from +/-18V.

Everything is plain and straightforward. Works with Sontec filters boards.

More - later!

Attachments

• SONT_MS_PRELIM.png
    SONT_MS_PRELIM.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,158
Igor,
this looks fantastic, M/S option, so cool! thank you for doing this,  a few questions:

1. If I just ordered the old boards ( filter, in/out, and PS), but have not ordered most of the components,  would you add this new board or just exchange for the PS and in/out boards?  how much more is it going to be? when will it be available?

2. I already ordered Alphastat Pots which are note cheap,  are those still going to work in your new M/S design? or we need to use stepped instead?  or, "at user's own discretion" ?

3. Are Tat Purusha's or Collective cases still going to work with this new board? space wide?  front panel design?

4.Do you have an updated BOM?  I finally was able to source all the components and took me a while, but with the new board I can see even more components :/

5. will the transformer used for the standard sontec stereo build work with the new board? 

Thank you!

Interest +1
This does the M-S with active electronics or does it need transformers like your m-s pultec board???
Would this work as a generic L/R bypass, M-S converter unit? Having the option to have a level control with a DOA would be cool too.
Anyway, awaiting more details.

colombian said:
Igor,
this looks fantastic, M/S option, so cool! thank you for doing this,  a few questions:

1. If I just ordered the old boards ( filter, in/out, and PS), but have not ordered most of the components,  would you add this new board or just exchange for the PS and in/out boards?  how much more is it going to be? when will it be available?

2. I already ordered Alphastat Pots which are note cheap,  are those still going to work in your new M/S design? or we need to use stepped instead?  or, "at user's own discretion" ?

3. Are Tat Purusha's or Collective cases still going to work with this new board? space wide?  front panel design?

4.Do you have an updated BOM?  I finally was able to source all the components and took me a while, but with the new board I can see even more components :/

5. will the transformer used for the standard sontec stereo build work with the new board? 

Thank you!

1. Separate. Availability - 1 week. Sontec set of boards comes as one panel. Use filters boards with this one and leave the summing/power supply boards.
For people who bought Sontec boards set in 2012 there will be discount on this board (20%).

2. Alphastat pots with filters boards. Spepped - check for DC Uni-Q. No intermediate solutions, only black or white!

3. Yes, but you have to find place for MS/BYP/LR switch.

4. Hm... Nope for updated BOM. I have to dig the Sontec BOM than separate to filters - summing - power supply.

5. Yes.

dmp said:
Interest +1
This does the M-S with active electronics or does it need transformers like your m-s pultec board???
Would this work as a generic L/R bypass, M-S converter unit? Having the option to have a level control with a DOA would be cool too.
Anyway, awaiting more details.

MS with active electronics. For generic L/R bypass, M-S converter unit: throw "summing" DOA's with according parts out and reverse phase at output.
For level control with DOA, just cut trace, insert pot, change values of some resistors. Some light on this subj will be spotted (maybe....bugagagagga!)

Igor said:
colombian said:
Igor,

Thank you!

1. Separate. Availability - 1 week. Sontec set of boards comes as one panel. Use filters boards with this one and leave the summing/power supply boards.
For people who bought Sontec boards set in 2012 there will be discount on this board (20%).

2. Alphastat pots with filters boards. Spepped - check for DC Uni-Q. No intermediate solutions, only black or white!

3. Yes, but you have to find place for MS/BYP/LR switch.

4. Hm... Nope for updated BOM. I have to dig the Sontec BOM than separate to filters - summing - power supply.

5. Yes.

THANK YOU IGOR !

It worked out. Sounds sweet, measures fine.

P1070371.jpg

P1070370.jpg

P1070369.jpg

P1070367.jpg

P1070365.jpg

P1070359.jpg

Sylvain D. said:
Sweet indeed! :p

Igor, what are those DOA in the picture?

2SK170 at the input, cascode topology, the rest is plain and classic.

Attachments

• doa1.png
    doa1.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 346
For those who interested in Sontec upgrade boards:

http://ij-audio.com/downloads/SONT_MS_UPGR.rar

http://www.ij-audio.com/store/equalizers/ms_sontec/

http://www.ij-audio.com/store/equalizers/sontec_pc/

A nice Upgrade! Thanks to Igor! My EQ is now very happy!

Attachments

• 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 609

Latest posts

Back