cheapest CNC machine for front panels?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imloggedin

Can anyone recommend a cheap CNC machine for engraving and cutting front and back panels for rack cases? I see smaller desktop ones on ebay for like $600 that are almost 19" long, but I'm new to the whole CNC world. Whats the cheapest machine you could buy to do anodized aluminum panels? Thanks guys.

If you want decent results, or any kind of quality control, going with the cheapest machine probably won't get you there. That said, this is a DIY community and I don't think you should fear getting something cheap and doing fine tuning/modding yourself. This one looks appealing to me, considering grabbing one in the near future.

very cool! thanks for the link. it says that the table is only 12".. im a CNC newbie. does that mean the drill cant travel past that? would i be able to drill the holes and engrave a 19" wide front plate?

imloggedin said:
very cool! thanks for the link. it says that the table is only 12".. im a CNC newbie. does that mean the drill cant travel past that? would i be able to drill the holes and engrave a 19" wide front plate?

I remember somewhere on that site they say something about a mod to increase the table to 15 or 17 inches? That should be plenty to engrave a front panel, being that a 19" rack case is only 17" wide (inside) and the controls will be set inside of that dimension quite a bit.

hey guys,

just to say, when I first started getting into my first CNC machine, I spent 1.5k on a cheap machine, it was OK, took some tweaking, but It worked great for over a year for me, and would of continued to do so if I had not wanted to do larger work.

But what I wanted to say is the cost does not end with the machine.

By the time you have worked it all out, along the way you have broken countless cutters and also figuring out which cutters work well for you, worked out you need some particular software, then the issue of lubricating, I think I spent as much again in the next 6 months learning as I spent on the machine..

and then engraving! that's another ball game in which a long time is spent learning, of course any one can mark the panel with text, but neat work is hard work.

oh and there is the next issue of paint infill!! that's another work of art which I never ever thought would be a pain in the arse as it turned out to be..

just to say, machining is great fun, and very rewarding, but there is learning curve. If you want to just make a few panels,  think how many panels I could of had made for my start up costs...I often think this..

FrankNRG helped me enormously when I started, im happy to pass my knowledge on too fwiw..

so in a nut shell, get your machine, have some extra cash put aside for extras as you find your way, and know it will take a bit of time to get the hang of, if you are cool with that it will be very very rewarding indeed.

also check http://www.cnczone.com/  its a pretty manic web site, but a ton of information there...

good luck

Pete

gemini86 said:
imloggedin said:
the rack mounting holes are quite close to the edge though.

there's no reason you should need to cnc those. A hand drill will give the same result.

I've found it easier to just buy or use the panels that come with cases.
I've made a little mdf jig to hold the panel in a 'known' position, engrave some drilling centre marks then use a hand/pillar drill for the holes. Much quicker.
I cnc large cutouts for meters etc but it can take ages unless you have a serious (£5K>) cnc machine.

Not sure if they were sold in the states but look out for Techsoft/Roland machines, lots were sold over here to schools and colleges.
I've a TS-30 it runs via usb, has simple software and its fairly idiot proof.

shabtek said:
are you near da windy city

Do you have a CNC for sale or do you have access to a CNC? I'm just outside of Chicago and want to get a CNC in the near future, but don't have a lot to invest. I'm on the hunt for either a CNC or someone that can do some one offs for me.

I have an engraving machine that has the potential to do light CNC milling and engraving...too much learning curve for me atm.

shabtek said:
I have an engraving machine that has the potential to do light CNC milling and engraving...too much learning curve for me atm.

I'm looking for something to engrave and drill aluminum hammond enclosures for stompboxes that I build. At the very least I want something that can engrave the boxes and the spots that I need to drill on my drill press.

the depth of your enclosure is a serious factor for any attainable machine. I would either use an enclosure with removable front\rear or engrave a plate\template and adhere that to the rear and front (if not removable). Or look into laser machines.
May be more realistic to outsource the job.
Usually the Z-axis will have the least travel-- on a cnc engraver it is maybe up to an inch--it is expecting some kind of sheet stock.

I live in Chicago and could do stomp boxes pretty simply with my machine. Is the box aluminum?  My machine has about a 10" by 10" by  4" cutting area plenty of room for a stomp box. Its a little to small for front panals sadly.

Eric

tskguy said:
I live in Chicago and could do stomp boxes pretty simply with my machine. Is the box aluminum?  My machine has about a 10" by 10" by  4" cutting area plenty of room for a stomp box. Its a little to small for front panals sadly.

Eric

Awesome! Yep, boxes are aluminum. I'll PM you a little later with some info.

I just bought a Mill right now and feel from speaking with a lot of machinists it is important to make stuff manually first then add CNC to the Mill later. It will help with understanding the best way to do things.

I am not going to be engraving right now but just drilling and such. I use a CO2 laser and powdercoat (see other posts)  to engrave and it works much better anyway, at least for my purposes.
Also I have some very successful experiments with dye sublimation on powdercoat. This is really slick looking. See my post here.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=45767.msg613734#msg613734

I just got this today :

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3960&category=1387807683

I cant wait to start drilling and cutting out !

Chuck

Back