Allison Research Rack Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpearsall

OK, so I recently acquired an Allison Research Rack and 4 KEPEX modules. That leaves me with 12 more spaces to fill in the rack! I don't really like having all the empty space when I could fill it. So, I was thinking, does anyone else make cards for these? I've heard something about a company called RM Audio back in the day but haven't found any modules. Another thought was trying to make a PCB template to build other designs on. I'd have to learn how to do that though.

Alternatively, if anyone has any extras or broken ones I'd be interested. ESPECIALLY a gain brain. Those are the whole reason I got this rack.

Hey Kpearsall,

i have a rack of both kepex and gain brains - i can tell you that yes - gain brains rock! but they go for heaps of cash - sometimes $200+ a channel.

I'd suggest (having A/B ed) my gain brains (fet comp) to my G1176s - the 76's have a similar vibe but so much more versatile..
Hang onto that rack and give it a few more kepex when you find em cheap enough - put your gain brain monies into a few channels and flavours of diy1176... just my $0.02

Hey Winetree?

What are your thoughts on the Roger Mayer gates? I have 2 (one works really well, the other is not 100%) i think they are really good and somehow 'gate' better than the kepex - but the kepex has a 'sound' and its sloppiness is useful..

Well, Robert named his son 'Carrot', after all!

Now that I think about it, 'Edward the Compressor' might be one of my favourite product names.... although I wonder if anyone in the USA has any idea what it refers to, and I'd guess that most don't, in the same way that most Brits probably don't know who 'Lewis and Clark' were.

(and no... 'Lewis and Clark' isn't an outlet chain!)

SSLtech said:
Well, Robert named his son 'Carrot', after all!
:)

Aside: Thought it was funny when watching Robert Plant in an interview talking about Crosby, Stills & Nash and he refers to them as "Crosby Steals the Stash!"

SSLtech said:
Now that I think about it, 'Edward the Compressor' might be one of my favourite product names....

Haha!  ;D  Hadn't heard that one. 

SSLtech said:
most Brits probably don't know who 'Lewis and Clark' were.

Ooh, ooh, me sir, pick me sir!  Here's an apple sir! 

Oregon trail. 

I wish had Bills money.
I bought that loaded Allison rack ( there's 1 more Kepex and RM gate ) in the 80's at a studio sale for $500.00.
They definitely have a sound, fat, punchy, a little more up front. More so than the Dynomites and Gatex.
I agree with the RM comment.

Thanks for the info guys. Good to know that was Roger Meyers. I've got less than 200 into this whole rack right now. I could see myself splurging on a Gain Brain for it if even just to have just one. and Yes I've already built 3 blue stripe 1176's. The Gain Brain is just something that I'm going to have to own at some point. I'm in love with the valley line too. Gotta love those Dynamites! I almost wish I had the rack version though. I've got that desktop dual unit that comes in the tan case. :)

Back