scammers should burn in hell.... trust but verify.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Got approached by a new scam today...

apparently internet phone calls are cheap enough and these guys brazen enough, that one F'r called me up today and said he was working with Microsoft support and had identified a trojan on my computer...

said the name of his company is  "global connect", but when I asked him more specific questions about his company... he hung up on me.

===

Do not give any information to anybody over the telephone or internet that you are not absolutely sure who they are...

The internet and google will help you identify common scams, but you need to be alert and skeptical  do not trust anybody.

JR

Wow, that's ballsy to actually call and try to phish for info in real-time. It's unfortunate, but good to be paranoid about this stuff. I hope the other people he has on his 'to call' list don't get duped!

"Trust in God, but tie your horse" is the phrase I often hear.

That is pretty damn gutsy to phish via actual telephone calls now. What's next? Face to face? Isn't that just a classic con man?

Had some folks at the office that got that same call man.  One of the coworkers said "I only have Mac's in my house...." phone went dead.

dmlandrum said:
"Trust in God, but tie your horse" is the phrase I often hear.

That is pretty damn gutsy to phish via actual telephone calls now. What's next? Face to face? Isn't that just a classic con man?

In god we trust... all other's must pay cash.....  8)

JR

Heres what happened to me.
I was selling an used blackberry on the local adds.
someone texts me and asked me if paypal was alright.
i said yeah...so he send me a paypal payment.

got an email from paypal so i went and checked my paypal account...and nothing.
however that email i received said i received 250$....hum...
They copied all from paypal but its just a scam.

i told the guy i shipped the cell hope he is still waiting....

This scam is surprisingly common and has been going on for several years (here in the UK). My daughter was recently hit by it but fortunately they were unable to get very far as she runs Linux. Surprisingly she was able to get their phone number but it turns out to be false. When I looked it up on the internet it turns out there's a web site for those who have had this scam happen to them. The stories are all very similar and go back several years.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/02538020308

Cheers

Ian

Yup, after I got suspicious and googled it, I found out it was not new, but it was new to me...  How many people here got telephone calls from this guy.

I still want to figure out how to send electrical shocks over the internet...  :mad:

Image how much better the world could be if these people channeled their efforts for good ends, not simple theft.

JR

In the UK I get called by Asians overseas who tell me they have detected a problem with my computer, I say no you haven't and suggest they get an honest job and hang up.

I think they prey on the fact that we have a large Asian population and that we are all scared sh*tless at being branded racists, as they might be calling from Bradford in the UK.

DaveP

A good thing to do with an unwanted phone call is to say "hold on a moment whilst I go get bank details / credit card ".

Then go take a dump or go to the pub.

zebra50 said:
A good thing to do with an unwanted phone call is to say "hold on a moment whilst I go get bank details / credit card ".

As the scammer is on the phone, whisper loud enough so he can here, "Have you gotten the trace yet? No? No? No? Yes! Great, send the cops over there ..."

-a

Andy Peters said:
zebra50 said:

As the scammer is on the phone, whisper loud enough so he can here, "Have you gotten the trace yet? No? No? No? Yes! Great, send the cops over there ..."

-a

Since my guy was probably over in bangalore, he might be more concerned if we said we were sending his IP to our buddy Duleep who works at Infosys...across the street from him..

I can see the IP and where the pukes who try to hack my website are coming from and a surprising percentage are from the US... maybe half.

JR

zebra50 said:

My daughter used to play this game several years ago.  Someone would call, trying to sell us something, and I'd say "OK, great, let me get my credit card" then put the call on hold, and see how long it took before the "hold' light went out.  Average time, 2 minutes, maximum time 16 minutes.
Best,
Bruno2000

Latest posts

Back