RODE NT1A new capsule needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valvusmusicus

HI All
Have one tat has a damged capsule-does anyone know where I can buy a new/refurbished/secondhand one please

All the best

I don't know where to get an actual Rode capsule and according what I've read they've used different capsules in it. But I'm pretty sure any Chinese 34mm capsule will do. Here are some alternatives:

http://recordinghacks.com/capsules/

Why not ask Rode.  They have a good reputation for service, at least in the UK and Oz.  Might as well find out how much to get it repaired properly.

There are several mods for the Nt1A and many suggest a new capsule to take out some of the eshiness (pronounced "esh -ee- ness") and upper end distortion of the Chinese capsule.

Look on eBay for a 35mm capsule or check out microphone-parts.com or recordinghacks.com has a long list of possible contenders ranging from around $100.00 on up.

The Voice

The Voice said:
There are several mods for the Nt1A and many suggest a new capsule to take out some of the eshiness (pronounced "esh -ee- ness") and upper end distortion of the Chinese capsule.
The Rode NT1a has gone through many iterations like AKG 414 / C12.  It hasn't used a Chinese capsule for many many years.  All Rode mikes including capsules are made in Oz, by Sydney virgins.

IMHO, the present NT1a is an excellent mike and fully competitive with present AKG 414 and the big Neumanns at $1000s & up.

By all means modify your NT1a but make sure you have access to an unmodified one so you can judge if the money time & effort was worthwhile.

"... including capsules are made in Oz, by Sydney virgins.

That made me laugh.  ;D

ricardo's suggestion about time and money spent is well worth thinking about.  I compared a well known mic modders  mic to a stock Rode NT1A and found the modded mic lacking gain, presence, and punch. 

Made changes on my own to the stock mic, including the capsule, but not the head-basket changes and the mic is now acceptable for Voiceover.  The modded Nt1A still lacks presence and a solid low end.

Cost of my personal mods - including capsule?  $117.00 USD.  Was it worth it? Maybe.  The mic will never be a "got-to" mic, but it does make a nice secondary or travel mic.

The Voice

Back