SSL9k almost finished(some trouble)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graph

Hi :) i almost finish my third DIY project(1st, MS20 clone, second a Gyraf 9 preamp)

Here is a pic

DSC00046.jpg

I couldnt make lots of tests, as you see, its only working and a mess wire, i am making it a new pcb for front panel, so i can give it a pad, phase, phantom, variable filter, instrument/mic, led meter, and a new PSU, with 15v integrated and better filtering.

But i wanted to know something.

I bought, some chinese mat02 for 7u$s each. There would be any improvement using an lm394 or mat12?

And.. i want to add it a balanced output. Currently how much output impedance does the ssl9k have? Its not like it needs a transformer, it sounds great as it is but i want to try to add an aditional coloration to see what happens and have the option to use, transformer output and active balanced output(maybe a cheap oep, or a lundal or cinemag)

Thank you :) once i finish everything i will post the project finished

pucho812 said:
mat02 was discontinued and the mat12 is a drop in replacement.

I know mat02 is discontinued long ago, and lm394 the same. there are still some lm394 in my country.

The problem is that these mat02 i bought they have the same logo and i dont know if they are really good. To my ears, in my focal monitors(cms40) they sound good enough, nice low end and very low noise.

I will try to make another with LM394 and see if they sound different and for balanced output, not every hardware has unbalanced input.

Thank you

Testing and trouble:

First, i found 2 problems with my ssl:

1) when i touch the metallic omeg pot to add gain some kind of hiss noise, or higher 60hz harmoics noise is added, when i am not touching it noise is gone

2) when gain is 3/4 aprox. of the knob, it starts to oscillate. Anyway that amout of gain clip easily a SM58 in my focusrite without gain on it(so i guess its adding more gain that it should be). Maybe the problem is the omeg pot?(2k2 instead of 2k5, with the 27 and 39 resistor)

I add it phantom power (for some reason 44.2v). And condenser mics just works. But there is a random ground noise that fades in and fades out sometimes.

Possible problems:

a) i use 2 PSU with 2 different transformers. The PSU or the 18v and phantom, uses a handbuilt 220:18+18v, maybe it needs 220:20v+20v, and is generating ripple in the phantom power as there isnt enough voltage? The other PSU uses a single transformer 220:15v with a simple 7815 and 7915 regulators

Thanks if anybody can help me if the problem are the PSUs i will just make a new one

Graph said:
Testing and trouble:

First, i found 2 problems with my ssl:

1) when i touch the metallic omeg pot to add gain some kind of hiss noise, or higher 60hz harmoics noise is added, when i am not touching it noise is gone

2) when gain is 3/4 aprox. of the knob, it starts to oscillate. Anyway that amout of gain clip easily a SM58 in my focusrite without gain on it(so i guess its adding more gain that it should be). Maybe the problem is the omeg pot?(2k2 instead of 2k5, with the 27 and 39 resistor)

I add it phantom power (for some reason 44.2v). And condenser mics just works. But there is a random ground noise that fades in and fades out sometimes.

Possible problems:

a) i use 2 PSU with 2 different transformers. The PSU or the 18v and phantom, uses a handbuilt 220:18+18v, maybe it needs 220:20v+20v, and is generating ripple in the phantom power as there isnt enough voltage? The other PSU uses a single transformer 220:15v with a simple 7815 and 7915 regulators

Thanks if anybody can help me if the problem are the PSUs i will just make a new one
Some problems solved

1. phantom power works right now(well 43.8v.. works out for most of the mics, with 20+20v transformr i bet it wil hit 48v). a track was damaged
2. oscillation problems solved.. bad solder.

The only "problem" is when i touch the metallic case of the omeg pot it adds noise... anyways housed in a rack that should never happen, so i guess there is nothing to worry about.

Could a simple balanced circuit with a ne5532 like the GSSL wil work out?(cant get ssm2142 in my country)

Thanks anyways :)

Graph said:
1. phantom power works right now(well 43.8v.. works out for most of the mics, with 20+20v transformr i bet it wil hit 48v). a track was damaged
Change R2 on psu pcb from 240R to 220R for +48VDC out if you have at least 51V raw DC in front of your voltage regulator.

Could a simple balanced circuit with a ne5532 like the GSSL wil work out?(cant get ssm2142 in my country)
SSM2142 could be substituted by DRV134 or THAT1646 that might be availiable in your country.
A balanced line driver -as shown in the GSSL- will behave different from prementioned chips.

Harpo said:
Graph said:
Change R2 on psu pcb from 240R to 220R for +48VDC out if you have at least 51V raw DC in front of your voltage regulator.

SSM2142 could be substituted by DRV134 or THAT1646 that might be availiable in your country.
A balanced line driver -as shown in the GSSL- will behave different from prementioned chips.

thanks i ill check the raw voltage,

None of them are avaible in mycountry either(Argentina), so i wil try ebay option instead.

Thanks harpo

Latest posts

Back