Starting a C12 clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's cathode bias in it's sister, the 251, remember - and the C28 of course.

I know, I know - it's only a clone if it's a clone - just sayin', it's all good.  :)

Hi Rob,

I am going to Italy( no interweb!) and wont be back for 8 days. I'll see what I can run down, but it may take a while. Pretty sure it is same as C28, but I could be wrong.

ANdyP

Out of curiosity, I did my C12 Apex460 mod as C-24 and that's cathode bias.. how much voltage is on pin4 of the C12 PSU? For the fixed bias.. I didn't find this info anywhere.

baadc0de said:
Out of curiosity, I did my C12 Apex460 mod as C-24 and that's cathode bias.. how much voltage is on pin4 of the C12 PSU? For the fixed bias.. I didn't find this info anywhere.

I've no idea.    I intend to do mine with cathode bias to avoid  having to use a different PSU than the one I have.

Rob Flinn said:
baadc0de said:

I've no idea.    I intend to do mine with fixed bias to avoid  having to use a different PSU than the one I have.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I worded my question rather badly. I was asking about the fixed bias voltage on a regular C12 for the 6072 triode grid.. I'm looking for either the volts ref to ground for the pin4 that the original NK12 power supply sends out to the mic or the resulting volts that bias the triode grid (after the 30M resistor etc..)

baadc0de said:
The C12 uses cathode bias.  The 'cathode resistor' is in the PSU just to confuse you.

You need to measure P4 with the mike connected & running or you will get nonsense when you measure P4 voltage.

Maybe AKG intended to use fixed bias at some future point in time but never got round to it.

Latest posts

Back