Thinking of selling most of my DIY gear

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

I've had an interesting few days-I have been in a significant amount of debt for a while, and I'm just feeling paralyzed by it.  I've finally started to try and take care of some of those things, and it has really been feeling liberating.  A couple days ago I sold the 40 year old guitar that my dad gave me.  It was something that never really had a lot of sentimental value to me and I didn't really play it much because it is an acoustic, and I'm mainly an electric player.  I talked to my dad before the sale, and he was ok with it.  That sale prompted me to look around at my other possessions, and I'm seeing that I'm just not using most of what I own.  I LOVE my gear, my G9, 1176, green pres, nite eq, headphone amp, etc.  They sound AMAZING!  But the truth is 99.9% of the time, I am either tracking a quick idea with my Apogee Duet, or sequencing ideas straight into my computer.  I have never been able to get a drum and vocal sound that I really like, so if I was smart, I think I would drop the idea of recording my music, and use money to go to a professional studio and get it all tracked and mixed there. 

It's a pretty liberating feeling.  I do so much DIY and electronics work with my own custom marimbas, and the electronics involved in the midi triggering, that I think that would free me (and my bench) up for projects that are really serving my career as a musician. 

So...I think I'll be selling most of my gear.  There's just not a point in getting a great guitar, bass guitar, and vocal sound etc with my gear when I can't see it all the way through in my space...

Also starting to eye my old ES335 to sell... ;)

Liberating is good, go for it.  Sounds like the right insights for now. 

I'm doing this very same thing at the moment, packing up my house and heading overseas with my wife.  Its a great feeling not to have all this stuff hanging around and a healthy bank account to boot.  I'm keeping only that which I actually use and that is plenty for me to worry about.  If you are feeling it then do it, I know it can be a little daunting but its a safety blanket that doesn't actually mean much.

Value may be a little tough , resale for d.i.y. is not usually  as good as commercial gear , and
even that is fighting the bottom line import stuff , but on the other hand I'm sure most of us have more than enough
to work with , so good luck on your purge to freedom

Although I really enjoyed DIY very much,  one of the best things I did when opening my studio was selling all of my DIY (completed and incomplete). I have enough to worry about besides actually building my gear.

living sounds said:
I have a rule to sell every piece of gear I haven't used for 3 months or more. No point in keeping stuff you don't need.

I'd never keep anything with that rule.

okgb said:
Value may be a little tough , resale for d.i.y. is not usually  as good as commercial gear

I've actually found this to be untrue.  If the build is good, sounds good and looks goods then all of the DIY gear I've sold has been in high demand and for good prices.  Not stupid prices but I've certainly got my money back plus extra for build time.

maybe you can broker some stuff , but here most people could do it themselves and know how much
it cost , or if people thinking about the resale themselves , or look at an api pre and say they could
buy one from Classicapi , I know a few people who are in the know and can appreciate honest good gear ,
but most of them have enough already , anyway Mibra , let us know how you make out !

Selling so you can build again ;D. I'm keeping mine so I don't have to build again. Debts will never go away, creating expense is just too much fun.

>Also starting to eye my old ES335 to sell... ;)

Seriously ...  dude! ...  oh man, .

A 335 is a whole of life thing.

> mainly an electric player.

Find a way!

8)

Changing direction may be a good thing.
Reducing debt is certainly a good thing!
It's the circle of life - you produce on a laptop, and wish for a studio with real gear.
You have a pile of gear, and wish to sell it so you could produce on a laptop...
:eek:
Don't sell the 335 - it'd worth more in 20 years, sell it when your arthritis won't let you play anymore...
;D

Joel

Keep the 335 someday you will be sorry you sold it !!!

I sold my old 1968 4005 rick about 10 years ago and I have
been kicking myself in the head for the last 10 years for doing it. :'( :'( :'(

Don't make my mistake...

GARY

Latest posts

Back