Balanced Audio <-> Unbalanced Modular Synth - I/O advice!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mOBiTh

Hey guys

So I've finally got around to assembling myself a modular synth.

I have a fair amount of CV/Gate controlled external kit and wondered about the best way of interfacing that with the modular.

Fairly easy to make up some direct wired 1/8" <-> 1/4" conversion panels (which I guess is all you need for CV/Gate right?)

However what about balanced audio? Would some input and output balancing transformers make sense? If so can someone recommend me some that are nice and compact and sound good and don't cost too much please?!

I suspect I'm going to have at least 8ins and 8outs to start with and it's all 3U eurorack format :) If it's really necessary I'll get some pcbs made but I'd like to avoid that cost if possible.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

+1 for a THAT based de-/balancing stages.
much cheaper than transformer based balancing and might perfectly fit the bill. you can even use them on perfboard.
Btw, you can do passive transformer balancing point-to-point ;-)

Best regards,
Martin

Thanks guys :)

smallbutfine said:
+1 for a THAT based de-/balancing stages.
much cheaper than transformer based balancing and might perfectly fit the bill. you can even use them on perfboard.
Btw, you can do passive transformer balancing point-to-point ;-)

Best regards,
Martin

Yep the plan was to do it passive really. I like the THAT stuff too but I like the simplicity of passive more :)

Might just start with 2in2out and see how i get on

Matt

Back