Photostory: Building a AES -> ADAT bridge

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkn80

Hi,

here I present you a photo story about building a 32 channel AES to ADAT bridge.
This project is a spin-off of the Modular AD/DA box project. The PCBs used here can also be used together with the earlier PCBS of the AD/DA box.
The bridge works quite simple: It converts 16 AES stereo streams (32 mono channels) into 4 ADAT lightpipe streams (each with 8 mono channels).  Nothing more, nothing less. Every building step will be documented here.
So now let's start!

Raphael

These are the two PCBs we need to stuff with components:

index.php

Attachments

• DSC_0404.JPG
    DSC_0404.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 451
First the ADAT light pipe transmitter PCB.

Attachments

• DSC_0409.JPG
    DSC_0409.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 55
No I don't think so. Because it is simple pick&place like in the analog project world. ;)

Continued with the AES input. First all receivers are mounted.

Attachments

• DSC_0423.JPG
    DSC_0423.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 98
gyraf said:
Shouldn't this be in "Higher order"?

Jakob E.

+1 Not really analogue ,def should be HO

Quite interesting though...Just been thinking about something like this,...looks a similar design to the  behringer ADAT 1616 X 2

rkn80 said:
No I don't think so. Because it is simple pick&place like in the analog project world. ;)

Afraid i don't have access to a pick n place machine  ;D

Any schematics ?

He didn't say pick and place machine, just pick and place... you're the machine. 0805 components are very much doable by hand.

Looks very interesting! Are there any parts that need programming involved? Is there a schematic (or even a PCB for a DIY project)? Are higher sample rates supported?

I could use a 4-channel version of these... ;-)

gemini86 said:
He didn't say pick and place machine, just pick and place... you're the machine. 0805 components are very much doable by hand.
I find some 0805 resistors pads are very close to ICs on the pictures, surelly need a steady hand when soldering at those places

gemini86 said:
Yes quite aware of that , just joshing.... :)
......any pcb is "pick up- part" and "place - part" not just smt comps!

Now all 0805-Caps are installed.
Regarding schematics, I'll upload them at the end of the story. But there is nothing special. In fact I just copied the applications circuits from the data sheets and put them together.

R.

index.php

Attachments

• DSC_0447.JPG
    DSC_0447.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 406
Hm, I do not really understand you. What do you mean with straight ADAT boards?

The AESin board is not replacing the 4 channel boards. In fact I copied the circuit from there and made this bigger board with 16 AES stream (32 mono channels) because I did not have enough boards left from the group buy so I had to order boards anyway and therefore I can put then more channels together on one board. Btw. both boards are compatible with the pinout of the delayed main board.

R.

Back