3D printer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

Maker Bot

a friend of mine is now working for the company that makes these.  Pretty cool stuff.  There is a rumor going around that they will be making a version that can print metallic objects in the near future.  I think I might want to try and print some fancy knobs with it.  Can do 2 colors simultaneously. Would be nice to be able to build prototype parts for mic's, knobs, and other "i wish someone would make..... insert imaginative part here..." things

I had started a thread about the very subject of using 3d printing for knobs and the general conscientious was that at this point in time 3d printing is not accurate enough and too costly vs injection molding for knobs.

well... from some of the things ive seen them do, the accuracy isn't really an issue anymore.... the $2K for the machine is a little nuts, but you could probably pump out a lot of knobs, collets, mic capsule holders, grommets and VU meter brackets with what they give you.

hmmm didnt think of that but yeah, i suppose you could make the plastic parts of it... the little ring on the outside that holds and tensions the diaphragm, i guess.  I was thinkin more for the the little "stand" the capsule mounts to.

The cost of that machine for prototyping is not crazy, when you consider the cost of the alternative.  I don't think we are close to using them for general purpose production, but for very small quantity they have their place.

JR

Under $2000 is significantly less expensive than the ones I use at work, the cheapest of which costs $50,000. Some of our other machines approach the $1/4 million territory.
From my perspective, maker bot is a killer deal, all things considered.

The materials used by our machines are the weakest link in the chain for certain uses. Some of our materials are incredibly strong, but incredibly brittle.
The resolution is 25 microns per layer (that's 0.00098 inches or 0.025 mm) and 25 microns in the X & Y dimensions.
At that resolution, it takes about 3–4 hours to print something the size of golfball.

So I think additive manufacturing technology will need to make some improvements in both materials and speed before we start to see serious adoption.
But the resolution is definitely there.

If I may make a suggestion, the best way to tell if it would be a viable method for making a knob (for instance) would be to make one. Try sending your favorite knob 3d model over to www.shapeways.com, get it printed in Alumide or Stainless steel, and see if it works. As far as using a Makerbot for such things, I would agree that the resolution is a little weak for high quality production work. I'll show you what I mean when I get home. I have one and have designed/printed many nifty toys (including functioning kazoo and ocarina), but you'll quickly see in a photo the lines that you hear about. The large industrial machines that Skylar speaks of (and Shapeways uses) have no such resolution issues, though. Absolutely need high-res 3d prototyping at home? There's still time http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/b9creations/b9creator-a-high-resolution-3d-printer. Only $500 more than the new Makerbot, but the tech support will probably be a little shaky....

A designer worth his salt could make the lines of the low resolution print an integral part of the look.

As long as we forget about cloning existing designs.

That is pretty nice!  I do see what you mean about the lines though. Not really sure if "I" would care, but if anyone has a 3d image of a knob in a format that makerbot can use, i can send it over to her and have her print one out just to see what it would look like using that machine.

Back