Spare capsules, any suggestions???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchilada

Hey guys. I have four spare capsules, two single diaphragm and two dual diaphragm. In the picture below the one on the left is from a Cad Trion 6000 (dual diaphragm, I have two of these), the one in the middle is from a Studio Projects C1 (single diaphragm) and the one on the left is from an MLX 9000 (single diaphragm).

I don't have a lot of hopes for the MXL capsule because I don't think it's very good quality but the SP C1 and CAD capsules look to be pretty good quality to me. They appear to be made of mostly brass whereas the MXL looks like is has a lot of plastic.

Any ideas or links to projects I could build with them? I'm building a G7 with a C12 style capsule at the moment so I would prefer to not build another tube mic. Does anyone know of any FET mic projects these capsules might be suitable for?

Thanks, picture is below :).

Kris

20120517_122122.jpg

Look up the Oktava MK-012 circuit. Not really for LDCs, but if you find the right thread, Gus has gifted us with an adjustment for LDCs.
It's easy to build and sounds very "flat".

With that K67 style capsule. Something with HF de-emphasis is recommended. A U-87ai would work (the vintage U-87i uses a dual-backplate design, so no go). The new Telefunken mics use this type of capsule as well, but they are all tube mics, and would need to be reverse-engineered. I say try the U-87. If one of the capsules doesn't do it for you, you could always put in a better one later. Hope this helps.

A couple ideas:

- Roll them in the dirt and then use them to learn how to clean capsules DIY style?
- Take em apart and try to put em back together again. Experiment with reskin. A/B.
- Keep as emergency spares. If one of your better ones becomes damaged some sound may be better than no-sound in a pinch.
- get dre to license to you and make a new line of kondensator-beatz... Sell these on ebay for 100x+ as original proto's.

-jb

haha

without bodies, its kind of a long shot, but i guess you could diy some too.. you could wire up  a sony c37a circuit. the sound really nice.

km84 circuit.

Latest posts

Back