front panel designer to cnc?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electroslut

Hi, we have a small cnc machine we have been using for pcb prototypes, but we want to use it for some front panel work,
but we don't know the proper way to convert our front panel designer files to a format for the cnc machine, any info would be
great. thanks. N

When I had a penel sil screened recently the guy I was dealing with sad he could CNC the holes too. I said what format did he want. he said just give him a hand drawn dimensioned sketch and he would program the CNC machine.

So I would guess there is a standard way of getting from a dimensioned drawing to a CNC program. I know that Front Panel Designer can export a dxf file so I would suggest this as a first step then look to see if your CNC machine has a utility to accept dxf files.

Cheers

Ian

yes and no, but the files don't seem to have tool path, feed rate, number of passes or any of that good stuff.

Isn't Front Panel Designer developed and provided for free by companies like Front Panel Express to sell their cnc service?
Why don't you develop your own software to use with your cnc machine instead of misusing theirs?
Of anything I think this forum should not provide help with it is this kind of thing (unless I am misunderstanding you - then I apologize).
FPE provides a really cool service to DIYers.

I agree I use FPE services and they are great! but sometimes I just have to do a little tweak or mod to something
and it would be great to do it in my garage. I also would like to know any other software that does something
similar to front panel designer, thanks

Front Designer
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/frontdesigner.html

Otherwise search CAD for cnc.
Find out what file type you want as an input to cnc and go from there.

I use front panel designer on my cnc all the time. Just export as a dfx file then import it to your favorite cam program. I use Vcarve pro. Its very easy to do and works like a champ!

Eric

tskguy said:
I use Vcarve pro.

That is the software I have been looking at most closely. Since I don't know any CAD software I am flying blind. It looks like Vcarve pro makes engraving text and importing and converting images a snap but is not as well suited to general layout hole making type operations. Am I correct in this thinking? Do you like Vcarve pro? If you are doing 3D milling do you use another program like Rhino or AutoCAD?

electroslut said:
yes and no, but the files don't seem to have tool path, feed rate, number of passes or any of that good stuff.

Of course not, because that would be CNC machine specific. That's why I said to look for a utility for your particular CNC machine. Doesn't the manufacturer provide it with such tools?

Cheers

Ian

Sorry, I forgot to mention we are using mach3 for the cnc, the vcarve looks great but the cut 2D from the same company seems
like it would do the trick for a lot less. thanks for all the info! N

Generally, you need all three.....

CAD ( Computer Aided Design)....... In your case this is front panel designer... 

The output of the CAD is a geometrical file (what you want to make) in this case a DXF sounds perfect (for a 2D shape to be cut 2.5d).

The DXF goes into a CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing) program - in this case V carve pro -  which takes what you want to build and creates the tool paths, and all of the instructions that the CNC machine will need to do to make the part. The set of instructions is in the form of G and M codes, usually in a big txt file. The CAM program uses a "post processor" which is machine (or controller) specific and ensures that the instructions are created in line with what the particular CNC machine controller expects (use the MACH3 post processor)

For DIY machines and many inexpensive ones around today, MACH3 is the machine controller

The G and M codes go into MACH3, which interprets the G and M code instructions to control the motors on the CNC machine in real time which will result in the part being made.

The CAM program needs to be set up carefully so that the tools used to cut the part and the machine parameters reflect your actual machine. There is generally no truly "automatic tool path"  button, Although once the CAM package is nicely set up for your machine and your tool library is correct, it will become a fairly quick process.

Also, because a DXF is 2 dimensional, you will set the cutting depths in the CAM program.

Note that these days the lines between the three traditional steps may become blurry - modern CAM software now has the ability to create the geometry of the part (eliminating the CAD), advanced 3D CAD can now include the features (and post processors) to create the tool paths (eliminating the stand alone CAM). And MACH 3 can even create basic shapes and the tool paths for them (eliminating stand alone CAD and CAM).

But the basic 3 steps remain - design the shape, generate the tool paths and control the machine.

Sorry if you know all of this already...

Cheers,

Tim

Timothytitus88 said:
Sorry if you know all of this already...

It's nice to have it spelled out. I think Vcarve Pro could be described as a CAM/CAD program with a specialized CAD feature set designed for engraving. That appeals to me. I'm wondering how limited the CAD part is. I don't need to do model airplane engine blocks but some functionality would be nice. I really only need to do 2D things if push comes to shove. I can download the demo but my learning curve is steep and I don't know that I could come up with the right answer.

Paul,

I am a vectric user, vcarve, aspire and cut3d.

To your question about the CAD element of vcarve and hole layout, I can tell you it is as easy as 123!

Draw a hole, apply a tool path, preview to check, export to g-code.

If you go this route you will not be disappointed, whilst it has plenty of functions for the more complex operations, again these are very easy to implement, and of course having a 3d rendering preview is a fantastic way to check your tool paths without cutting a single piece.

If you need any help using it then you can always get in touch.

One further thing about the engraving it is in fact 2.5D, if you read up on the v-carve tool process you will see, the engraving is beautiful, unlike perhaps single line, it can almost look printed.

Pete

It seems like http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/cut2D/c2d_index.htm would work fine for front panels?
thanks for all the info! N

sure, of course, Cut2D does not offer 3D ( some call it 2.5D ) v carving ..but this may or may not matter to you..

see here for an explanation..

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/vcp/vcp_vcarving.htm

Thanks Pete. Assuming the Taig will work for engraving I think I'll give this software a go. It looks like it would be the quickest path to getting something useable from the setup.

Latest posts

Back