WTD with a spare K47, Oktava MK-012 Head?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauvais

I have a spare Neumann K47 lying around and want to make use of it. Initially I thought of modding some cheap mic like a MXL, but then figured why not use it in conjunction with my already modded/improved MK-012s. That would mean getting hold of either a MK-101, MK-102 or MK-104 head and swap the capsule with the Neumann. Now the 104 seems to be an improvement on the 101, but how about the 102, does anybody have any experience with those heads? Which one would be the one to get? Or does it matter at all for my purpose?

Or is this a bad idea in the first place? I don't even know the polarization voltage of a MK-012, but then the K47 has sounded absolutely wonderful in any mic I've stuck it in, so..

If anyone has any experience with those Oktava LDC heads, please chime in.

Thanks!

Hi I have copied the MK012 circuit from scratch & used it with capsules I have MK101 ADK Vienna. Voilet VD67,RK47, Lomo its sounds great with all these Im amazed with the circuit really it cost pennies to make Im sure you K47 would sound good....In my humble experiments id say 85% the sound of a mic is the capsule...

I agree, the capsule is THE most important thing and it doesn't get any better than a K47, just different. That's why I thought sticking it onto a MK012 will surely sound good. The question is just which head shape will be most suited for the job.

For a familiar side address mic, I would use the 104. The 102 may not have as much of an acoustical impact on the sound of the capsule as the 104, but the original U-47's headbasket was very much part of the sound. To each their own, I guess.

Latest posts

Back