OKTAVA mic connection (russian manual) 6 pins -> XLR ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaheu

Hi,

I've got to connect this mike which looks like an unbalanced mike ????
I would like to rewire de 6 pins connector to an XLR.
Should I connect the Pin 2 to XLR pin 1 and pin 1 to XLR pin 2 ?
Here is what I got, but unfortunately, me don't speak russian  :-\

oktava.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

what type/model whatever mic is it? does it connect to a PSU?  pin one hot seems weird also the drawing shows pin two of the three pin xlr in the pin three position.

I do not speak russian but google translate can help you get an idea of they are talking about.

flaheu said:
Hi,

I've got to connect this mike which looks like an unbalanced mike ????
I would like to rewire de 6 pins connector to an XLR.
Should I connect the Pin 2 to XLR pin 1 and pin 1 to XLR pin 2 ?
Here is what I got, but unfortunately, me don't speak russian  :-\

In Soviet Russia, mic powers YOU!

-a

(sorry, I couldn't resist the ol' Russian Reversal.)

I think the 3-pin connector is a DIN connector. (The so called "N" connector as used by Sennheiser, AKG etc.)
This explains the pin 2 connected to ground. (Pin 1 + 3 carried the balanced signal.)

For a XLR connector this would be:  1 wire connected to pin 1 (ground), 1 wire (signal) connected to pin 2, pin 3 connected to pin 1.
DO NEVER USE PHANTOM POWER!   This will work, no matter if you use an unbalanced or balanced input.

This looks like a dynamic microphone - all MD okatava I could find were dynamic, asymmetric connection to a DIN connector, not XLR....

the xyz A Version seems to have a PTT switch on pins 6 and 7.

I would try to tie the capsule to XLR 2 and 3, and to have a independent shield / ground to the case from XLR pin 1.

- Michael

Hi,

Well you might be out of luck here - the cable is asymmetric only, which means that you don't have the shield independant from the capsule.... you can redo the cable though.... the two other wires connect to the PTT switch (pin 6 &7)

I would look if I could replace the cable with a 5 pole cable (4+shield) or skip the PTT button if not required.

- Michael

Back