PRR-176 Vari-Mu REV 2 - *Group Buy 7/13!*

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Abe
The PCBs arrived today!!!
Sorry for a stupid  question:
is possible to add something like  Drip time constant PCB on this project?
Thanks

ilfungo said:
thanks Abe
The PCBs arrived today!!!
Sorry for a stupid  question:
is possible to add something like  Drip time constant PCB on this project?
Thanks

Great! Glad you got them. Time constant, like an "auto-release" found on the SSL? It would surely be possible, I think just adding a resistor network along with the caps would work. I'd have to double check the SSL schematic to be sure....

Yea, you could make it on a switch, and switch out the release pot, or somehow incorporate it. Then build up something like on the GSSL just scaling down the capacitance/resistance values to 1uf (or 2uf) or whatever you want! there are no rules.

Sorry any news about new wiring guide?
Thanks

someone can tell me how to do input (Log 10k) and Out (100k Log) stepped with Lorlin switch?
Thanks

ilfungo said:
Sorry any news about new wiring guide?
Thanks
www.acsoundstudio.com/prr_176/rev_2/REV2_PRR_176_WIRING_GUIDE.png

someone can tell me how to do input (Log 10k) and Out (100k Log) stepped with Lorlin switch?
Thanks

http://www.quadesl.com/attenuator.html

hope this helps!
Best,
Abe

ilfungo said:
Thanks Abe!!!

I do not understand "Total attenuation db"? :eek:

Ok, thats a good question, because if using a lorin you only have 12 steps, so you want to maximize usable steps. I would say for a compressor -40dB max attenuation might be a good starting point. But it depends. you might want to wire up a potentiometer first and see what range on the potentiometer you use the most then measure the resistance and us that to make your lorin switches.

Thanks Abe I make some experiments...

For GSSL Time Constant can i use this?

Should I change something or I can copy it?
thanks

ilfungo said:
Thanks Abe I make some experiments...

For GSSL Time Constant can i use this?

Should I change something or I can copy it?
thanks

Well looking at it I would say give it a shot. Just copy the 750k/91k & 0.47uF/6.8uF and switch it into the circuit, though I don't expect it to react exactly the same, you'll probably need some tweeking with values and you'll have to modify/change the existing PCB. I find the comp to be pretty musical as is, and never felt the need for an "auto" release, but who knows, you don't miss what you've never tried!

sorry ... , something is missing in the second channel?
???

:)

Attachments

• 2 - 176 1 .jpg
    2 - 176 1 .jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 129
Received! Nice boards, love the smilies

EDIT: also, isn't this board of the variety where if you link it, only the left controls are "in"?

ilfungo said:
sorry ... , something is missing in the second channel?
???

:)

Haha! Sorry 'bout that. I'll update the picture. Thanks for pointing it out!

baadc0de said:
Received! Nice boards, love the smilies

EDIT: also, isn't this board of the variety where if you link it, only the left controls are "in"?

Thanks! And yes, when stereo link only the Left controls work, makes it a lot easier to setup stereo cohesiveness, instead of trying to match attack/release  controls.

I just finished the rev 2!
I have a strange problem on the first channel:
when I go up with the output pot (full CW) increases the compression ....
even with no input signal, the meter starts to score more and more compression ...
I checked all connections and they seem ok.
What can be?
Has anyone finished the REV 2?
thanks

Problem solved ( bad trimmer)...
with Lundahl 1540 (as interstage)
optional resistor value?
thanks

Hello ABE I got a strange problem:
the first channel
pot output from half to three quarters, and distorted sound strange, if I decrease or increase, the problem goes away .....
rechecked all components
replaced the doa
replaced all ICs
but nothing changes ..
What can be?
Thanks

ilfungo said:
the first channel
pot output from half to three quarters, and distorted sound strange, if I decrease or increase, the problem goes away .....
So just he first channel? have you check the pot? Does it happen when stereo linked/not? compression not? bypassed etc...?

Yes just the first channel
I changed the pot but nothing has changed.
always the case (compression in or out)
in mono and in stereo,
The only thing I've noticed that if I exclude physically
U1 or U2 the problem goes away ...
:eek:

This is a sample of the noise output pot.
starting from zero up to the maximum...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xyn9u6

ilfungo said:
Yes just the first channel
I changed the pot but nothing has changed.
always the case (compression in or out)
in mono and in stereo,
The only thing I've noticed that if I exclude physically
U1 or U2 the problem goes away ...
:eek:

So if you take out the ne5534 or the tl072 from the sidechain it doesn't make that noise? That is strange, quick fix is you could strap a 10pf to 100pf capacitor across your output pot, that would probably help. when did you start noticing this? have you cleaned your board of flux?

Back