PRR-176 Vari-Mu REV 2 - *Group Buy 7/13!*

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ilfungo said:
HI
any of you know recommend a toroidal for Europe?
I want to build another 176 mastering version .
In the first I used a custom toroidal bought on prodigy ..
thanks
???

Hi ilfungo

why not ordering another custom one from mueller (http://www.mueller-rondo.com/)?
I posted all necessary informations in the REV 1 threat.

ROCK-ON!

Hi Ifungo,

i think it shouldn't be a problem just ordering one.
Maybe take 2, one for your private stock and the next PRR176 project :)

ROCK-ON!

I know this has been discussed, so I apologise for bringing this up again.  However...

I'm considering implementing the Gyraf "trick" of reverse connecting a transformer to obtain HV for the tubes, and have checked a couple of Gyraf's schematics showing this.

1  Since the centre tap of the first transformer is used in the derivation of + and - power rails, how then should the secondaries of the first transformer then be connected to the primary of the second transformer.?

2  What would be a suitable VA ratings for each transformer?

Thanks for any help.  Cheers, Paul

Hey,

1) where are the notes on calibration?

2) And....where are the AB's?

Can we hear this comp in action? The youtube clip is useless as its recorded through a room mic??????????????? whats with that?????????????

thanks in advance

Michael

Michael,

It's not that I'm super proud of that demo recording, but seriously, what's so terribly wrong? Where is this room mic you are talking about?

muffy1975 said:
Hey,

1) where are the notes on calibration?

2) And....where are the AB's?

Can we hear this comp in action? The youtube clip is useless as its recorded through a room mic??????????????? whats with that?????????????

thanks in advance

Michael

hey,

refering to this clip here right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5KcJumut8Y

we are not talking about the same clip!!!!

where is your clip?

Have you got anything you have done recently with your prr on the mix bus?

regards

Michael

Sorry mate, confusion abounds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjP2e-bq4Ao

this one has the PRR176 on the guitar, in stereo. The guitar is recorded through a pair of gefells with nickel capsules into a jensamp germanium and then squeezed by the PRR176.

I haven't used it on mix buss yet, but it's an interesting idea. We'll definitely try that!

Cheers,
B

muffy1975 said:
hey,

refering to this clip here right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5KcJumut8Y

we are not talking about the same clip!!!!

where is your clip?

Have you got anything you have done recently with your prr on the mix bus?

regards

Michael

hey,

sounds great. really nice.

what are the function of the various trimmers????

how do you calibrate this thing.? No one is talking about it. I can't find it at least.

many thanks in advance

Michael

it was a long time ago...

but I think the first revision page does have some useful info on that, no?
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=44586.0

have to catch my flight, so I'll check that later in the evening. But this is what I can find in that now:

Trimmers:
1k VR3, VR9 ....this balances the power between the 2 halves of the 6BC8 tube. Helps if you don't have a perfectly balanced tube.
100R VR1,VR4 adjust for minimum "thump"
1k VR5, VR2 Control Meters, Power on, let it warm up for a bit (10 minutes or so) turn until meters read "0" gr.

What I did was setup a 18kHz burst in the DAW that repeats every 1s or so, put it on loop mode and then adjusted VR3 / VR9 and VR1 / VR4 for minimum thump. You can "detect" thumps by lowpassing everything below 1kHz and take a look at the meter in the DAW from the compressor return after the lowpass. You want as small a signal as possible. That's it!

VR5 / VR2 is your classic zero adjust.

Hope that helps!

thanks man,

that's really kind of you.

Your music sounds and is played/performed beautifully.

Michael

Hi Muffy,
Baadc0de's advice is spot-on. I'd just add that, if you can, try to buy 6BC8s tested for balance. If that's not possible, I'd recommend trying to get a few extra tubes (they're relatively inexpensive). I had trouble calibrating my 2nd PRR-176 to the same level of performance of the first one I built until I swapped out the tubes.
Good luck, I'm sure you're going to love this compressor. It's definitely my fav.

This german guy sent me a matched & balanced pair for no extra charge. I took PCC189 tubes

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/tubeprofi?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1181

Hello all!

I took PCC189 tubes

Are PCC189 compatible with this compressor?

It's a real pain to have matched pair of 6BC8.
I've bought 10 pairs and still have from 1 to 5db difference of level compression.

My comp is a stereo with just one set of knobs for both channels, no link and outboard threshold pot. All built with Vishay/dale precision resistors.

Best regards.

Looking forward to this build. :)

Edit: updated design.

Attachments

• 176 Vari-Mu Fronpanel.jpg
    176 Vari-Mu Fronpanel.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 91
Ding, if you are going to use a fender lamp or similar recheck your labeling left and right beside the lamp hole. It looks very tight and the nut/flange of the lampholder could overlap the marks  8) would be a bummer, it's looking cool  :)

Good looking out. Yeah it's still a work in progress. I got the too many knobs too little space syndrome. I am definitely going to print it out and try things before I send it to the printers. I am so excited about this project. This compressor is so customizable! Once I get a final design I might want to get more people in on it to try and save a few bucks at panel express. I definitely want some nice pultec style 1.5 knobs. I'm definitely a knob guy :) hence my too many knobs problem.

Trying to find a matched pair of these is proving to be a tough task. Does anyone know where to get a matched pair preferably in the US to avoid the long, bumpy trip?

Final design! 1.5 inch knobs (pultec/fairchild style), chicken head or stockli on switch, vintage 1ma circular meters from evelBay. I got rid of the time constant mod because I had to make room for those knobs :) . No biggie. I am trying to source some cool SPDT and DPDT switches with the black plastic on them like electric guitar switches. Anyone have a good source? Also go with anodized natural aluminum with black letters or black anodized aluminum with white letters? Any suggestions?

Thanks all.  ;D

Attachments

• Vari-Mu.jpg
    Vari-Mu.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 47
Back