Paper Jam

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desol

So, earlier today i decided i wanted to send out a resume for a new job that i found on the internet. The ad says to fax the resume in. So i take the protective cloth off the top of my trusty Samsung SCX-4521f, hook up the phone cable to the line port on the back of the printer and go to send off the fax. On the first try...paper jam. So i remove the paper and for the next couple hours, paper jam after paper jam, i clean the rollers, look for debris, clean out the bit of cola that i spilled in it a few years ago, etc...to no avail. Strangely, the thing will not pass paper through the fax/copy roller section on the top...but it did work for a long while before this....fax after fax.

After a bit of thought and deliberation, i decide to remove the upper roller section, dismantle it and have a look at what's inside. What do i find...a circuit board with one half of it covered in brown residue, rust and whatever else remains of what i assume to be the cola that i spilled into it a year and a half ago. So, i remove the little springs and lever arms...the screw holding in the board, the connectors and the board comes right out. Upon a closer inspection, i find that the cola has eaten clear through the leg of a .1uf ceramic cap and one of the 16 pin dip ic's legs. Yeesh...not to mention it's all in the other legs...etc. Nasty.

So, I set about cleaning the rust and residue from the board, removing the eaten through legs of the components and replacing/resoldering new legs to make connections to the components once again. Double check everything for cleanliness while it's open, all springs and levers in place, both connectors plugged in...put it all back together and try it once again.
No more paper jams....works like new.

Before this board, i would've never given thought doing something like that....now it just seems normal. Once again, thanks to prodigy not only for audio knowledge...but knowledge in general. Cheers!

Ha! Who knows...i'm sure it could be of some use somewhere down the road. I'm just glad it's working again.
A little curiosity and patience goes a long way in saving repair costs.

Its seems a good skill to have especially with societies disposable attitude. IE don't repair it, just throw it away and buy something new. A lot of the broken odds and ends I've seen are usually something simple. (sometimes not, but always trying to learn!)

Latest posts

Back