Input transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysolinski

I am modding a mic pre...put in new opamps and tubes...It could really use better input transformers..the Jensen 115's are perfect but are 75$ a piece in small quantity...Anything else I could try 150 to 15k with a ration of 1:10..I know the jensens would sound great but the pre itself is not worth 150$ :)...I would like to get by with 50$ a piece (100$ total)..thanks guys..glad I found you again!

Ray

why not some UTC's used on ebay? theres always tons of em out there and many are no more than $20 to $40

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Even Lundahls are expensive...[/quote]Yes, since the last couple of US/Euro $ shifts, the Jensen's aren't much more than the Lundahls.

The Lundahls are 100$ a piece...I would, if the unit was worth it..the cinemags look great (and they are in the UA610)..I couldn't find a place that sold them..any help here?
btw..you guys are great!

Ray

got a note from David Geren vp of cinemag:

We only sell direct to customers, not through distributors. If the
transformer you want is in current active production, we do not have a
minimum order. Please let us know what you are specifically interest in and
we will be happy to quote the price.

Best regards,

David Geren
Vice President
www.cinemag.org

Ok going out on a limb.
The Lundahls are the one that sound correct to my ears.
The J company's 1:10 IMHO do not sound good.
I have not heard the C company but cool he is selling direct.

If you get the Amphorous core Lundahl's they even sound more musical.
I take many hours to build DIY stuff.
Why not use a good sounding transformer?

A transformer is also dependant of the circuit and whatever it needs to drive (output trannies that is). Sometimes it's nice to have some iron sound, like OEP, sometimes it's nice to have an 'invisible' trannie like the Lundahl. It's great we have all these choices! :grin:

Thanks guys....If I was building this pre I would definately go with the best I could find but since it is a cheapie that I am modding I didn't want to get crazy....Those Lundahls look great at 52$..I didn't see them on the pricing page at K&K, Sorry Kev...You will be hearing from me...

Ray

I don't know if it has enough shielding for mic input use--does anyone here have access to an old Peerless catalog?--but how 'bout an Altec 15095A? It can be strapped for 150:15K (1:10 turns ratio) and, if you shop around, can be had fairly cheaply. They are very common.

You might think about using the LL1636.

It sounded great as the input to an LA2A I built. It uses an amorphous core and it seemed to sound a bit clearer than the unit with the sowter in it.

Here's a cheap one: the 1:645 OEP A262A3E at Farnell/Newark for $20.

Also, Scott Hampton (hamptone.com) is the distributor for Altran now and he has 1:8 and 1:10 mic input in mu metal can versions for $50 each.

Latest posts

Back