Chameleon Labs Pre / EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmix

http://www.chameleonlabs.com

I ran across this company in an advertisement in MIX magazine...

I wrote to them and found out that they are taking 50% down for orders, shipment expected in three months. No demo units available, but "30 day return guarantee"

I'm waiting to hear back from them about the specifics of the unit. Basically it looks like some sort of Neve Clone ("right down to the interchangable boards", they claim in the print ad).

You can see some interior shots here:

http://www.chameleonlabs.com/network.htm?

$699 per unit + $100 for a supply which will power 2 of them.

They are being manufactured "overseas", presumably China or Taiwan.

If this is a neve clone, it would be nice to know if they would sell separate boards, as the 1073 EQ boards, including inductors...

well actually I've been discussing that with them raf during its development and their is a distinct possibility. I've heard the protype its pretty remarkable. I've asked them about amp boards and transformers some time ago and they did not say no. For $699 this box rocks and this thing does have an elma gain switch Wil

Wilebee

Neve is struck by "the China syndrome"? Awesome, because I'll bet the weak point is in the iron, easily replaced with good stuff.

Bear

[quote author="wilebee"]well actually I've been discussing that with them raf during its development and their is a distinct possibility. I've heard the protype its pretty remarkable. I've asked them about amp boards and transformers some time ago and they did not say no. For $699 this box rocks and this thing does have an elma gain switch Wil

Wilebee[/quote]

I still have questions about output topology, etc.

Do you know anything about their design??

[quote author="wilebee"]Whats the Question ? Wil

Wilebee[/quote]

I'd like to know what they have modeled their circuit around. Does it use a 3055 single ended class A output driver? Is there compatability between their cards and actual n*ve cards?

What is the output drive capability?, especially around 30Hz?

How much signal can the input transformer take? What were those (and they did already tell me that they were Chinese) transformers modeled after?

What is the input impedance of the DI?

yes 3055 output stage and every card is compatible. As for the output transformer. I was going to borrow the prototype ad throw it on my friends Stanford Research fft box and do some sweeps to really see what it looked like but my wife and I had our twins and needless to say my time was disrupted. I will see if I can get some more info on themand run some test. Wil

Wilebee

Hey, congratulations, Wil!

my wife and I had our twins and needless to say my time was disrupted.

Don't worry, the disruption only lasts twenty years or so.

[quote author="jrmintz"]Hey, congratulations, Wil!

my wife and I had our twins and needless to say my time was disrupted.

Don't worry, the disruption only lasts twenty years or so.[/quote]

That only works as long as you don't have any more...I have five :shock: and my time will have lasted by the time the last one leaves oh.....about 32 years :? I finally figured out what caused it and had it fixed!!!!! My oldest one just got married two weeks ago and my youngest is 11 years old....do the math.

TP

well then its good we have a boy and a girl done ! Wil

thanks everyone for the congrats Wilebee

[quote author="wilebee"]yes 3055 output stage and every card is compatible. As for the output transformer. I was going to borrow the prototype ad throw it on my friends Stanford Research fft box and do some sweeps to really see what it looked like but my wife and I had our twins and needless to say my time was disrupted. I will see if I can get some more info on themand run some test. Wil

Wilebee[/quote]

wilebee,
Thanks for the great reply. And congradulations on the little clones...! :grin:

I'd love to know more about the transformers, I got a reply from them, but their policy is 'no demos'... I'm a bit wary..

Hey Wilebee,

I am raising this post from the grave...

I have also noticed this pre floating around in mags and on boards, but
we are now almost in August and they are still not up for grabs... Has
anyone tried one yet?

It looks as ugly as heck, but at $700, + $100 PSU if it sounds good then I
can?t knock the cosmetics.

Anyone hear a demo or prototype? What is the hold up?

Cheers

Matt

som info from gearslutz...

Actually saw it at NAMM. Looked surprising solid - good components. Consensus was it sounded very much like the original. They had a pair of vintage 1073's to A/B in their booth.

I heard that the knobs are the same as you'll find in a 747 cockpit. Grey plastic.

http://gearslutz.com/board/attachment.php3?attachmentid=5392&stc=1

http://gearslutz.com/board/attachment.php3?attachmentid=5391&stc=1

Fletcher seemed to hint that it was a rip-off of the Chandler LTD-1

I heard the Chameleon at NAMM. They had it set up next to a Neve 1073 so you could compare your voice over headphones.

It was remarkably close to the real thing. Big rich low end and that silky high.

Every card in the 7602 is identical to the 1073, and may be interchanged with the neve cards.

From what I have been told, yes. Chinese xfmrs. Chinese manufacturing and assembly.

Here are the tested specs:

sensitivity
100mV
Line(input switch at~20dB)
1.4mV
MIC(input switch at~60dB)
Frequency range
(+0.2; 0)dB
line 15Hz~20 KHz
(-0.2; +0.4)dB
Mic 15Hz~20 KHz
THD
<0.5 %
line
<3 %
Mic
Max output Level
+28 dBm

Noise
< -85 dBm
Sensitivity -35 dBm
Input impedance
1.2K ohm
mic
10 K ohm
line
Output impedance
600 ohm

Does anyone have one yet?Some better inside pics would be cool.Thinking about getting one.
Has anyone here heard this unit against the 1073?Some sound clips maybe? :grin:

Anyone ?:shock:

I tried one. Sounded not as mid strong compared to other Neve and Neve Copies I was comparing it to. I mostly tried it for Line input eq but also as a mic pre. It was solid but I didn't prefere to the others. I liked the Vintech X73i much better even though I wanted to like the Chameleon better. The Vintech was more powerful sounding and closer to the original Neve I compared it to. Others may find they like it though, at the price it is definently worth trying.

Latest posts

Back