scully 280 repro mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safe as milk

hi
does anyone know where & what to jumper to get the signal through the pb/repro card
rather than just listening to the rec/input?
i searched google as well as here & read some posts about a 'joel' mod?
could that be one of the stateside joels that post here i wonder?

cheers

Are you qwanting to be able to listen to a recorded track in order to sync to while you record another part on another track of the tape? I have the 280 manual in the garage. Let me know if this is what you are trying to do & I will work out the mod.

Bill Wilson

hi
thankyou for the very kind offer bill

yes i would like the option to use the signal through the playback electronics as well as the
record card for even more colour hopefully.

im using them without a tape machine as mic pres btw.

hopefully it's just a couple of jumpers on the edge connector....fingers crossed!

actually if you have a 'clear' picture of the edge connector part of the schematic?
as my copy is pretty unreadable that would be enough to get me going bill

cheers

For that, you need no modification, just put it in record mode use the off-tape output, but that introduces a delay, so you need to monitor the input signal. This was possible in Studer machines, which had two separate outputs.
Today, if you want to do that in conjunction with a DAW, you need to provide adequate switching and delay compensation.
Look for the CLASP system. Although it is beyond me why people would want to add noise, flutter and distortion to a perfectly viable signal chain...

hi
thanks for the reply
i was kinda thinking if i jumpered it id get the signal through that nice big playback vol
control on the end of the scully plus more sonic 'artifacts' from the repro electronics.
i dont think i will get a delay as there are no heads involved & no tape either...
i'll do a search for the CLASP

cheers

safe as milk said:
i dont think i will get a delay as there are no heads involved & no tape either...
If you want to go through the PB electronics, you have to do it via tape and heads, unless you build a dummy head simulator, which involves several inductors, caps and resistors.

hi
abbey i hope your over complicating it!
im going to try to jumper on the large connector

does anyone have a clear schematic for the pin numbers pretty please?

cheers

U wanna basically send a line signal thru the playback pcb? I did think about it aswell but that circuit is built to interface with the tape head so without modding it so i don't think its doable  :( I hope I'm wrong though cos the 280 sounds nice

safe as milk said:
where & what to jumper to get the signal through the pb/repro card
cheers

1.  bypass C606 with a 220 uF capacitor to defeat the playback equalisation.
2.  inject signal into pin 2 of the blue ribbon connector.
3.  the voltage gain of the preamp (minus line amp) will be approximately 13.3 dB.
4.  there are number of revisions; above suggestions per issue G, May 1965.

Latest posts

Back