MXL 604 broken

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellfireStudios

Unfortunately, The spring-loaded capsule connector in my MXL 603/604 broke during disassembly. It's the big white plastic thing near the capsule. It got stuck, and the spring ripped out of the housing when the PCB released itself from the mount.
After the failed attempts to repair the part, I'm wondering if this part is available for purchase seperately. As I know this is unlikely, my main question would be: What is the absolute cheapest 603/903s/604 or similar mic that could be used for the repair? Preferably a brass body like the older MXL's. Thanks.

-James-

Hi James,

For DIY purposes is it possible to bypass the connector and solder directly to the capsule pin? You have little to lose at this stage.

Good luck.

That would normally work, but then I would lose the swapable capsule function. The 604 comes with both omni and cardioid. I even went so far as to take apart one of my M-Audio Pulsar II's to see if the capsule connector would be a direct swap. It's a larger design, so no go. I may have a plan that includes your advise. We shall see...

-James-

That same thing happened to me....luckly I was able to semi- wind it back into a spring, and pry apart the white housing and put it all back together and securing it by melting some of the white plastic together...

coudl you re-wind a spring?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Gold-Plated-Memory-Steel-Wire-For-Cuff-Bangle-Bracelet-0-6mm-any-color-/270976623464?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3f17772368#ht_5923wt_1037

maybe...

goodluck!

I tried that method, but didn't know it was pryable. Damn.
I actually dremeled the casing off to get at the "cup." Some kneaded epoxy was used to put it back together, but I removed too much plastic, and the result was sloppy with an uncertainty about the movement which I cant live with. My intent is to buy a 603 as cheap as possible, use the 603's "white plastic part" for the 604's repair, and hardwire the old plastic part (with a solid pice of wire running through) to the 603's capsule. I also hear there is a KM-84 mod that should be fun to try to the left over 603. We'll see if everyone will stop sniping the good used ones out from under me on evilbay. Thanks.

-James-

Back