Recommendation for video/tutorials on how to use a oscilloscope for pro-audio?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

Not really sure how to use my oscilloscope for troubleshooting.

Does anyone have any videos, links or tutorials they can recommend that will help a newbie know how to use an oscilloscope for troubleshooting pro-audio gear?

Thanks

There are many ways to respond to this, a lot of them probably much more useful than this one, but this is how I use mine.

An oscilloscope gives you a visual indication of the difference in voltage flowing at any particular reference point in your gear to whatever choice of reference you want (most likely audio or PSU ground), hence will also show you when there is no signal present, which is pretty essential for testing.

The things to understand from the user manual of your device are the voltage range it's set to (i.e. what range of voltages it will be able to display depending on what range of voltages you are expecting to test), how the trace on the screen is drawn (is it the difference between two signals, the multiplication of two signals, etc. etc. - since an oscilloscope generally provides multiple ways to combine it's inputs), and the scan-rate or for digital the sampling rate of the device - since this defines whether you can see long-term trends (slow sampling rate), or high-frequency spikes, overshoots, or pulses (high sampling rate).

The advantage with a multimeter or oscilloscope for measurement, is that, by their very design, they provide a very high impedance point to add to the circuit you are testing - hence their presence generally goes unnoticed by the circuit you are looking at, and, providing the voltages you are prodding are within the limits of your multimeter or oscilloscope, you can basically put the probes anywhere you want, and get a useful result, provided you are careful not to create a short with the end of the probe.

What a multimeter is good at is reading the steady-state values of DC operating points.  What it's NOT good at is precisely what an oscilloscope IS good at - giving you feedback on the AC operation of a circuit.  So for audio, an oscilloscope can be used in many ways, but if something is not working, a generally good method is to start at the input, and work your way, with the aid of the schematic, systematically from the input to the output, prodding at anything along the way, and, hopefully even garnering more information about how the circuit works by directly investigating its operation, whilst it's operating.

If you have an unexpected DC offset on the output of a piece of gear, by tracing with an oscilloscope systematically from each point from input to output, you can see WHERE it occurs with an oscilloscope.  If you have a signal dropout, you can find the very point that generates the dropout - etc. etc.

As usual this is a pretty open ended question - it depends on what you are testing, what's wrong, and exactly what you want to know, but the real advantage of an oscilloscope is that you can see directly what's going on with your voltages, even if they are RAPIDLY changing (limited by the bandwidth range of your oscilloscope) - something that a multimeter would not provide you to the same level of detail.

If you already know all of this then sorry for the rant  ;)

etheory, thanks for the reply!

So let me get this straight and simulate an issue.

If I have an amplifier that is not giving me signal.

I would look for the schematics of the amplifier. Do schematics usually provide the voltages at certain points or is this something I have to work out?

I then plug my ground to my input of my amplifier and then probe at certain points on my amplifier circuit using the schematics as my reference and if the voltage does not match what is written in the schematics, then the components in that area is the one that is faulty??

Is this right so far?
etheory said:
There are many ways to respond to this, a lot of them probably much more useful than this one, but this is how I use mine.

An oscilloscope gives you a visual indication of the difference in voltage flowing at any particular reference point in your gear to whatever choice of reference you want (most likely audio or PSU ground), hence will also show you when there is no signal present, which is pretty essential for testing.

The things to understand from the user manual of your device are the voltage range it's set to (i.e. what range of voltages it will be able to display depending on what range of voltages you are expecting to test), how the trace on the screen is drawn (is it the difference between two signals, the multiplication of two signals, etc. etc. - since an oscilloscope generally provides multiple ways to combine it's inputs), and the scan-rate or for digital the sampling rate of the device - since this defines whether you can see long-term trends (slow sampling rate), or high-frequency spikes, overshoots, or pulses (high sampling rate).

The advantage with a multimeter or oscilloscope for measurement, is that, by their very design, they provide a very high impedance point to add to the circuit you are testing - hence their presence generally goes unnoticed by the circuit you are looking at, and, providing the voltages you are prodding are within the limits of your multimeter or oscilloscope, you can basically put the probes anywhere you want, and get a useful result, provided you are careful not to create a short with the end of the probe.

What a multimeter is good at is reading the steady-state values of DC operating points.  What it's NOT good at is precisely what an oscilloscope IS good at - giving you feedback on the AC operation of a circuit.  So for audio, an oscilloscope can be used in many ways, but if something is not working, a generally good method is to start at the input, and work your way, with the aid of the schematic, systematically from the input to the output, prodding at anything along the way, and, hopefully even garnering more information about how the circuit works by directly investigating its operation, whilst it's operating.

If you have an unexpected DC offset on the output of a piece of gear, by tracing with an oscilloscope systematically from each point from input to output, you can see WHERE it occurs with an oscilloscope.  If you have a signal dropout, you can find the very point that generates the dropout - etc. etc.

As usual this is a pretty open ended question - it depends on what you are testing, what's wrong, and exactly what you want to know, but the real advantage of an oscilloscope is that you can see directly what's going on with your voltages, even if they are RAPIDLY changing (limited by the bandwidth range of your oscilloscope) - something that a multimeter would not provide you to the same level of detail.

If you already know all of this then sorry for the rant  ;)

canidoit said:
If I have an amplifier that is not giving me signal.

I would look for the schematics of the amplifier. Do schematics usually provide the voltages at certain points or is this something I have to work out?

If you are lucky yes, but more likely no.
In your scenario, the presence of a signal at all would be more important as to precisely what voltages there are.
You might also find situations where a signal disappears and is replaced by just a DC voltage - in which case, again, you can figure out where the issue is.
But of course you can NEVER know too much, so keep reading and researching, and trying.

There are always exceptions to every rule.  Measuring tube circuits can be difficult due to being more sensitive in certain configurations to high-impedances, and also some parts of a circuit can appear to have no signal when measured - like the virtual earth points in opamp circuits.

I get the impression from reading your initial post and the reply that you would definitely do well to get some good books on the basics and look at some more circuit theory and try some stuff out.

People tend to think they need to know everything straight away, which is clearly impossible - my suggestion would be to stick to measuring some small/working/well-known/simple circuits to get a head for this stuff.

You might even want to take a working circuit and measure it, write some stuff down, then intentionally break it and try and figure out where it's broken using your oscilloscope.  Learning this way will be useful when you really need to investigate something you don't understand.

canidoit said:
I then plug my ground to my input of my amplifier

Sort of.  There are minor semantic things wrong with this statement, which again indicate that brushing up on some more electronics literature and theory would be useful, but you want to connect your oscilloscope ground, or most likely your oscilloscope -ve input to the signal ground - which is quite likely the same location for input and output (it would most likely terminate at the star-earth point somewhere), and then probe around the circuit with the oscilloscope probe from there.

canidoit said:
and then probe at certain points on my amplifier circuit using the schematics as my reference and if the voltage does not match what is written in the schematics, then the components in that area is the one that is faulty??

Is this right so far?

Basically, yes.  But even without schematics, a lack of signal, is a lack of signal, and indicates a clear fault, whether you knew what to expect there or not.
You can gather a lot from a combination of previous experience (i.e. asking less questions and just doing) or reading up on more theory.

I would suggest VERY strongly however, to NOT do this at mains potential (or even worse, in valve units) until you've worked a lot more with this stuff.

Please play it safe and stick with low voltages - where it's much less likely you'll turn yourself into a cooked steak if you happen to touch the wrong thing accidentally.

Latest posts

Back