Possible group buy - 25k rev log CLAROSTAT pots

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk@halmi

I would like to know if there is interest in a group buy for 25k reverse log potentiometers. This is not an offering at this point, just a poll to see if there is enough interest to buy a 100 pieces to get the discounted price.
PM to me with the quantity you want.

These are Clarostat 388 pots from state-elec. They have high quality conductive plastic elements rated at 50k mechanical cycles. (Most pots sold today have a 15k cycle rating.) The shaft is 1/8 inch in diameter and it is 3/4 inch long. Both the shaft and the bushing are metal for longetivity. The price is $11 for each if we buy a at least 100 of them.
The datasheet:
http://www.potentiometer.com/catalog388.pdf

These pots are custom made. The lead time is 4 to 6 weeks to have them built.

Cheers,
Tamas

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]$11 for a pot?

Gosh, I must be a cheapskate. Sounds like a lot of money to me.[/quote]Not for a custom Clarostat conductive plastic type. The standard log taper ones are $11 at DigiKey.

Personly, I would rather buy a whole bunch of cheap 16 mm Alpha pots.
16mm.jpg

In a group order they should be way cheaper than custom Claro CP's.

That been said, I do need some of these, so I will order from who ever the group chooses to get thier pots from.

Cheers,

elco

Elco,

Can you get a quote from them? I prefer conductive plastic elements and a decent rev log taper. I would be in for at least 10 pieces.

Thanks,
Tamas

I'd be up for 10.

There are a few 325 cards lying around here that I been trying to find time to convert to 312ish pres and these pots would be just the ticket.

Tamas,

People tell me that I'm lazy and a procrastinator. So I'm not sure I'm the best person to look into it. However If I have time later this week I'll try to contact somebody about these Alpha pots.

Cheers,

elco

only if they were right angle PCB mount

That's a good point Tamas - were you thinking PCB mount or solder lug? I'd definitely be in for some, not sure how many.

[quote author="elco"]Tamas,

People tell me that I'm lazy and a procrastinator. So I'm not sure I'm the best person to look into it. However If I have time later this week I'll try to contact somebody about these Alpha pots.

Cheers,

elco[/quote]

Exactly. This is why we are buying Clarostat pots this time around.

[quote author="Plexibreath"]I'd be in for 20 but only if they were right angle PCB mount with staggard leads for stability. And not Alpha's.
Kelley[/quote]

The ones I got quote for have pins. No bracket and bracket pins.
Please check the datasheet for exact dimensions. Figure 12 shows the exact configuration. You can PCB mount them easily.

for $11 a pop, you could build a stepped atenuator with a 12 position switch and a bag of resistors.

Or make fake rev log pots with a linear pot and a resistor:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

Two of these will probably track a lot closer to one another than "real" log pots. Plus, if you don't like the sound and/or expense of conductive plastic, then use those cheapo carbons or try cermets.

Neil

I pay around $10 per for bourns or clarostat conductive plastic pots that are standard digikey items all the time, $11 for a special order seems fine with me. Id buy a bunch if we get a group order happening, at least 8.

I like these pots for the feel. When you turn knobs all day, its nice to turn something that feels good...

dave

Is it possible to use a 10k rlog pot in the API circuit? http://www.electrovalue.co.uk/pdf/pot.pdf They have them here for £0.92 a piece.

Come to think of it, my Brent Averill 312's have 10k lin in them. Hmm..

Cheers,

elco

Back