Feed rate, plunge rate, and spindle speed (for dummies)?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therecordingart

I finished building a small CNC kit (mydiycnc.com) to do PCBs, engrave stompbox enclosures, and to take on another hobby that is way outside my skill set.  ;D

Anyway, the machine is built and it works. Now comes learning how to use it. Are there any rules of thumb for material type/job to calculate the feed rate, plunge rate, and spindle speed? My machine is capable of 10IPM with a spindle speed of 5k-14k rpm.

I'm looking to cut pockets in MDF, engrave aluminum, mill PCBs, and possibley make some acrylic jigs (drilled holes and engravings in acrylic sheets). Any suggestions for me?

Welcome to a hobby that can chew up more time and money that audio!

Have a look at this thread....

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48533.20

It is a good read and Pete (Grand Master Audio) makes some feed and speed suggestions.

Sign up at cnczone.com. there is heaps of information there but you will spend a lot of time finding it.

So... Pics? How did you make it? What will drive it?

I am about to get a machine up and running that I have spent a couple of years on. As soon as it is going I will share the experience at Gdiy.

Latest posts

Back