Smoking pot

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not smoke. Never touched any recreational drugs in my life. But the idea that smoking pot will somehow keep you focused is completely alien to me. If I was smoking pot and stayed focused I would be asking for my money back. The whole idea of getting stoned would be to just lie on your back and gaze the stars.

Was cool for a good while, had a lot of laughs, fun and good moments, and then didn't fit my lifestyle, and the "cool" was not there anymore.
It did get me to never finish what i started, and it did get me out of focus.
Stopped very fast, and never felt the need of getting back, decision was made.
Depends on people i guess, but having friends that still consume some, i found myself not feeling at my place everytime their is some around,
and most don't have fun with it, but use it as a tough life moments reliever, well that's how it looks like, always puts the mood into a kind of depresive one....
I would prefer to have focus, and try to solve my problem by doing some other things, like a bike ride, or a Mountain trek, or whatever can fit the moment.
Another kind of dope  ;)

Just my 2 once haha

I remember when i used to work at a music store, this kid Nathan started working there. One day he came up to us and said that he had smoked pot for the first time in his life the previous night and i asked him what he thought of it. He said, "It was like i had a head injury, only without the injury..."

Then he just walked off and we kind of chuckled. I don't think he ever carried on with it after that one experience.

Doing drugs of any kind, is a mild/severe form of poisoning. Even though i have intentionally poisoned myself a few times over the years, i still never understood how/why people get off doing this to themselves. Or, how self-inflicted poisoning leads to enhanced performance and creativity.

JohnRoberts said:
They call it "dope" for a reason. While pot is certainly less harmful than opponents argue, I can't imagine anyone being smarter while using it.

JR

I feel like that's the best conclusion on all of this.

I always understood it would be the same for smoking any dried plant-based material, for example: smoking oregano could cause cancer. No doubt some plants are worse than others, but it is only the degree that varies. The combustion process generates polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Depends on temperature, oxygen sub-stoichiometry (relative to carbon and hydrogen - leading to incomplete combustion, probably localised in a cigarette), &c. Probably helps if the feedstock is at least in part lignaceous - as most plant feedstocks are. For similar reasons BBQed food is sometimes indicated as carcinogenic. I also recall a study of a North American Indian tribe indicating elevated levels of certain types of cancer (because of all the smoked (preserved) food - I think the location of the study was somewhere on the coast north of Washington State).

Smoking is about as bad as living on an asphalt street...

While car exhausts have gotten cleaner and electrical vehicles even more, everybody's neglecting brake and tyre particles. Asbestos might be banned from brake pads for a number of years, it's still awfully harmful dust. Rubber particles get everywhere in the end.

Recently, the asphalt itself came into view. Asphalt produces PAHs too. And much to the amazement of the researchers, it does so even in winter, at night, when frozen.

I simply think smoking isn't as bad as it's pictured to be. Certainly not as bad as simply being alive. Unless you live in a forest in Alaska, or so... :D

pucho812 said:
I feel it effects people differently.

Like pretty much everything. I'm almost allergic to alcohol. If I drink one beer I feel a little queasy. I've puked without even being drunk. I like drinking I just have a very low tolerance. If I smoke tobacco I feel like I have asthma. Canabis doesn't have the negative physical effects of alcohol and tobacco for me.

I know a few with a toxic reaction to alcohol , some took years to realise it , some never did and continue to propel themselves face first into the dirt with it.
Weed can have its own pernicious effects depending on the person and state of mind .
Habitual use of any kind of mind altering substance is liable to have unpleasent side effects upon its withdrawl, a little moderation goes a long way .

JohnRoberts said:
They call it "dope" for a reason. While pot is certainly less harmful than opponents argue, I can't imagine anyone being smarter while using it.

JR

Did I tell you, I'm a Jamaican. I use to be around the guys stringing up huge DIY KT88 amps in the dancehall with a spliff in their mouth and I said to myself one day I will be one of the best. I built an eight KT88 power amp at age 12. I wound the power tranny delivering 650-0-650V HT, (I wouldn't let any of my kids do that when they were growing up) 100V bias, each side of the push pull had it's own pot and a couple of 6.3V. Now the outputs were a work of art. I combined 2 cores for a rectangular shape for each of the 2 outputs ( I wanted to go down to 20Hz cleanly so the square area was important), I had equal resistance plate to plate just like the monsterchild I have here in my studio. And that was long before my swimulator, lol. Late 70's yeah I know I'm a kid compared to some you elderly gents.

JohnRoberts said:
(Grateful) dead thread walking...

JR
Meh, It sparked my interest more than the tired Covid and Trump on and on sour soup! I wasn't even impressed when I saw all those rednecks assaulting the White house last week. Lynch mob style, ask my ancestors about it! There is a gene that fine suits and fancy talk can't suppress. Time for a spliff, iyah!

Re. Grateful Dead Thread:

Check the posts.  Thread had already been resuscitated as of Jan 11th. 

Pass the doobie dude  ;) 

analag said:
Did I tell you, I'm a Jamaican. I use to be around the guys stringing up huge DIY KT88 amps in the dancehall with a spliff in their mouth and I said to myself one day I will be one of the best.

When I read this thread https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=76376.0

I thought 'he needs to go to Jamaica". That sound system stuff is nuts.

there are a lot of medical benefits wrapped up in that weed plant,
too many to say that it was put here by accident.
it is a personal decision, telling someone to change their personal decision does not work.
so people are going to do what they do.

me? i look back on the good times, listening to All Along the Watchtower while high on weed. i eel sorry for people who were not around back then to appreciate the wonderful music and the wonderful weed. my life has been augmented tremendously by weed, and i am an alcoholic, so weed probably saved my life and maybe the lives of others as i was not careening down the road drunk, but was at home enjoying the laid back life. even if i drove on weed, i was so paranoid that speeding was out of the question.

as my tolerance grew, the THC content went up,
got burned out on mexican, here comes acapulco gold, that quit working and here comes Columbian Red, that quit working here comes hashish and thaistick, that quit working and here comes Humbolt Sinsi. then the Endo and all the cross strains.
then the cococaps (THC infused coconut oil)
after years of that i pulled the plug, getting old, don't want to get senile. short term memory can be a problem with this stuff coming out nowadays.

i do not think weed is a good idea for people who were not blessed with ample cerebral capacity. employment opportunities might dwindle if you start out too soon on limited brain power whereas taking away a little motivation from people with big brains might be a good thing for society in general.

it sure is fun getting high and demolishing a six pack of Thomas English Muffins dripping with butter and honey at 2 in the morning, or driving down some mountain road on a full moon night with the lights off and listening to A Day in a Life on a warm summer night with the top down, or listening to the long version of Light My Fire at night on a dark road while on the way to the beach, and the ladies sure seem like more fun at night, as long as they are high too!

had a sinus problem, fluid draining into my stomach and making me dry heave at work from nausea, got back on the weed and my problems were over, probably going to go back to it if i get diagnosed with the big C.

people just want to feel good, if they do not feel good normally, then a little hooch sure can brighten things up, but if you smoke weed alcoholically like i was, you can build up a tolerance pretty quick, thee is no effect because you are always stoned, no contrast with the normal life. that is when you are wasting your money. when i started to get irritable after a hash covered weed bong i knew i needed to quit.

smoked for 40 years and never got busted. the year i quit they make it legal!  took some of the fun out of it. but i do not miss waiting outside of the dope man's house for two hours at night while some middle man is inside having a good time pinching my stash and rapping with the dealer, only to find that the weed is bunk and all that noise.

@CJ

That sounds awfully familiar  ;D

Just had my yearly medical checkup yesterday. My real age is a decade older than my biological age. I smoke, eat very salty and extremely fat, but avoid sugar and fast food. No sports at all, not even on TV  ;)

And I drink too. Just not the hard stuff, only beer and wine. Daily, but moderately. Without good food and the rest, I would've been dead a long time ago.

I think it was clear the doc didn't need to waste her time on me...

Back