Easy way to make a simple website

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timothytitus88

Hey all,

I will soon be embarking on a "DIY Holiday" where I will be able to have 12 whole days uninterrupted to finish a project that I have been planning and preparing for, for two years. I plan on sharing the experience here. However I was thinking that for film footage and pictures (of which there will be many) it might be easiest to have a simple web page where I can upload stuff.

I have web space with my ISP, and I know how to upload to it with filezilla (i am just using it for personal storage at the moment), but I curious about what you guys use for putting simple websites together (particularly with small films that can be included). Or perhaps there is a tutorial out there that someone can recommend to bring me up to speed?

A hint for my "DIY Holiday"...... Finishing my ultimate CNC build and using it to machine rack cases for my G9 builds.

Cheers,

Tim

My main "gig' is doing website. I personally dont like wordpress, but for someone that has never done this kind of thing before its not so bad.  If you're just looking to share pics, I would suggest s flikr account or just create a facebook page and make it public. Its free and doesnt get any easier than that.

#3 for WordPress.

What's your host? A few have 1 click installs for WP, I know Dreamhost does (which is a great host).

For WP, you just need to upload the files, create a DB/account, and then update some info in a config file. You should then have a fully running site, and can find themes/plugins to modify as you wish (or dig into the WP code for customization).

There's great great great documentation for WP as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I am a little but old skool (and probably a bit stupid) and as a result I do not live in the Facebook world.

And on the utube thing, I guess I should learn a bit more. I am under the impression that once they are on utube all control is gone. I guess I like the idea of taking them down if I wanted to.

I now see that I can save a word document as a website. I might have a go at this as a way of putting up photos and text, and perhaps i will just put small vids that people can download. Also I found that Eric (tskguy) put his little CNC video on photo-bucket, so perhaps ill look into that.

Yeah a CMS is way to go, really, the least amount of trouble if totally starting from scratch... You can try wordpress free, no need for web hosting, nada. Just register and test out: http://wordpress.com/ If you don't like it / too hard to use, just tear it down and try something else?:)

I've used SeaMonkey successfully. There's a sample at:

http://www.stlecd.org

Very simple, but it works. Looking at SeaMonkey, it looks like it'll handle slightly more complicated stuff too.

Peace,
Paul

> impression that once they are on utube all control is gone. I guess I like the idea of taking them down if I wanted to.

No problem. I put videos of pants and Corgis up, and I can take them down. You can consolidate the videos in a "channel" or "playlist". Just don't forget your YouTube account/password info.

I am also a wordpress user.  It is way easy.  They provide the framework and you can simply upload content into it.  You don't have to deal with html if you don't want to, and you get deeper as you want to.  They have free pages or you can purchase someone's design.  Your provider probably has WP for install.  If you are talking vids, then you post them to youtube and then youtube gives you a link that you load into your page.  That way you can drive traffic both ways.  WP allows you to add commerce modules and other features as you need your site to grow.

Be careful using the Word html converter.  It is a really bloated way to make a page.  They are usually three times the size as a simply coded html page, and then you have to load it into your provider yourself.
Mike

Thanks All,

It looks like I just need to bite the bullet and jump on this technology band wagon and sign up at WordPress and YouTube.

I am just a bit cautious and down on the whole internet thing at the moment. Last week someone hacked into my hotmail account that I have had spam free for nearly 14 years, and sent a whole bunch of spam out. Now Hotmail has locked me out and will not let me back in without giving them my phone number to unlock it, which seems weird to me and for some reason I am uncomfortable about it. So bye bye to my emails from the 90's.

Anyway. I must be positive! My CNC-G9 extravaganza is about to begin.

Cheers,

Tim

Latest posts

Back