Problem with old Dynavox portable turntable

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjaminbear

Hi,

I have this old Dynavox portable record player I'm trying to fix, the platter spins and the amp works, but I get no sound when playing records.  It uses some obscure Astatic cartridge that is double-sided (One side plays 33s and 45s, the other side is for 78s), there is no marking on the cartridge so I don't know the model of it. I'm pretty sure it's a ceramic cartridge as far as I can tell.

My question:  The tonearm has screw holes 1/2" apart, can I wire a standard cartridge in there?

Edit:  Ok nevermind, it looks like I can't without modifying the amplifier section.  I'll just get a different tonearm that uses a less obscure cartridge.

Astatic, is that the high output, (compared to moving coil) ceramic cartridge

if so, you have a lot of choices,

you could even just mount a sewing needle to the tone arm with some JB Weld or PC-7, which is a slightly better epoxy at an affordable price,

how did those juke boxes get the 45 to play sideways, what that all smoke and beers?

use to sit on the school lawn in summer and smoke cigs and listen to Steppenwolf on the portable battery operated record player, horrible sound, but no hum, and the chicks were always on our side of the lawn smokin and makin out cuz we had tunes, get me? Darlene Weems, what happened? where did we go wrong?

Were  Going Wrong by Cream use to sound better when the batteries got low and the speed got warbly, i mean the song is weird enuff, bt play it on the portable? look out...

Latest posts

Back