Square holes in printed circuit boards?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Hi!

I have seen a couple of circuit boards around with square holes for transformers and other components to sit in / pass through. Like this, for example....

nu525pcbs.jpg

Does anyone know which programmes / manufacturers support boards with square / rectangular holes? Preferably on a mac!

I tried to design a board using Fritz, which is very easy to use, but does not support square holes.

Many thanks

Stewart

This can be done in the Milling layer on PCB softwars, Eagle has this layer for example, and the idea is to draw the rectangle with the correct size where you want it and that's that.
I think it can even be done in the Dimension Layer (wich is normally the one used for the contour of the board).
Not aware of Fritz tough....

Thanks Tony! I think I have to find someone with Eagle. I don't think Fritzing has a milling layer, which is a shame because it is free, and very easy to use.
http://fritzing.org/

Holes. Not pads.

Yes, I want holes for the magnetic components - like where it says 'T1' on the board, only smaller in my case.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Stewart

For the 5003 PCBs, I made a note of the hole sizes, and the plant did the necessary coding for me.

On the PCB design I put in a cross-hatched area, and said "Hole size: Xmm x Ymm"

Worked fine.

Peter

Latest posts

Back