[BUILD] CAPI Dual VPR & 51x Floor Box PSU~Official Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, that's not a bad idea. I'm pretty sure that they haven't been damaged, yet, and I already ordered the regulators. If I am still having issues after, then I will certainly give that a try.

Thanks

Chad

Can we get a hypothetical rack configuration where 22 modules would be powered by one PSU?  if ya could name some specific modules, that'd be appreciated.  I'm trying to see if I actually need both of my PSUs because i only have 3 modules that actually use the 24V rail (51X-F76 x2 & VP312DI w/FET HiZ)

Measure the current draw of each module that you have and come up with a total that is based on your real situation, not hypotheticals.

Just want to give you guys an update.. The psu is now fully functional! The 48v regulator was shot as well as the LED. Thanks for the help guys, what a relief.

Chad

mulletchuck said:
lol I guess i gotta figure out how to measure current with my multimeter then!

Would love to see your results Chuck.  I'm about to install new modules bringing me to 14 'vpr' and 6 51x.  Need to measure to see if my 1 power supply can handle both racks.... Which I'm pretty sure it can based on some of the vp26 etc specs I've read.

that's what i'm trying to figure out.  the spec for the PSU says 11 16V modules and 11 24V modules.  but almost every 24V module uses both 16V and 24V rails :-/    we really need a PSU that handles 22 modules that use BOTH sets of rails simultaneously.

to put it another way , A friend bought one psu and two 51x racks , but I'm thinking he'll have
more 16 v modules than 24v  ,  that could be a problem ?  if he ends up trying to run more than half
of them for 16v and only a couple of 24 v ?

It is a pretty hefty psu xfmr as is , so doubling that may not be reasonable and not sure too many people
would be happy with the cost after that [ for something maybe not fully utilized ] and with a couple resister changes
you can get two sets of 16v rails , I get that .  [ And the sexy red box DOES distract me from my girlfriend ]
Fuses are 1.5 amp per rail , can you remind me and confirm , that is my max draw ?
[ and although that may seem like a simple question that you may respond to by "  look it up yourself "
I appreciate the " official  " and knowledgeable confirmation  , thanks  ]

It is a good reminder for people to take into consideration when planning their racks , and those making
preamps  to include in their specs

Yes, I was looking specifically for the newer version.

Thanks Gary and jsteiger.

EDIT: BTW would it be a good idea to build one of these to power my non-VPR-51X racks? I always wanted to build a single universal PSU for all my projects (or whatever number this PSU is able to power). This way I would save lots of space, avoid transformer related hum problems, and also would save me from building a PSU for every project (the most boring part IMO). Is this a good idea? Will I have some kind problem with grounding or something else I cant think of?. Thankss.

Firstly, I still supply the rack type power supply. As I manufacture them in-house I even do variations to meet specific requirements.

In response to Chuck's query. My last batch of 15 rack PSUs were dual type, meaning two sets of power supplies in a single case. This can power up to four 511 racks.

However, one has to know the current consumption as Volker and Jeff pointed out.  If I am remembering correctly the accepted current rating per module was around 125mA though API specifies 160mA. So the average would be 1.5A per rack/per rail and both the rack and floor type PSUs will provide that comfortably.

Hello,
I have some weird issues with my 51x PSU when it power two JensAmp-51x and two Phoenix audio DRS1R/500. I already post it in another thread because I thougth it was the pin configuration of phoenix preamp that doesn't match with the 511 lunchbox...

It seems that when I put a fourth preamp in my rack, I lost my +16V because of the 1,5A/250V fast blow fuse.
Here are the test I did:

Test 1:
Slot 1: JensAmp 51x
Slot 2: JensAmp 51x
Slot 3: empty
Slot 4: empty
All is right

Test 2:
Slot 3: DRS1R/500 n°1
Slot 4: empty
All is right

Test 3:
Slot 3: empty
Slot 4: DRS1R/500 n°1
All is right

Test 4 & 5
Same things but with DRS1R/500 n°2 instead of n°1
All is right

Test 6:
Slot 3: DRS1R/500 n°1
Slot 4: DRS1R/500 n°2
I lost +16V and the +16V 1,5A/250V fast blow fuse is DEAD...

Here are somes advices thanks to gemini86!
I would bet that there are some large filtering caps on all the board that will suck up a lot of current until fully charged. So, use a slow blow, which will withstand the inrush current for a few seconds before blowing.

Can I try to fix this with a 1,5A/250V SLOW blow fuse without damage preamps or PSU?
Do you think this is an other problem?

Phoenix audio DRS1R/500:
http://www.phoenixaudio.net/products/drs-1r/

JensAmp 51x:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=45341.0

Topic: Phoenix Audio DRS1R/500 and 51xAudio lunchbox:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50807.0

Latest posts

Back