etheory - Some electronic music I've been producing with DIY gear

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etheory

Hi everyone!

I know there are people here with varied tastes in music (most of the peeps on here seem to be rock oriented, but I could definitely be wrong on that), so if you don't like this, that's totally cool, I know I have a long way to go with production, and I'm constantly learning.

I've been working for some time on an electronica album for vocalist Lee Safar - and I've done all of the recording in an untreated bedroom with one of Jeff's VP26's and a Sound Skulptor MP73 driven by a Shure SM7b and Sterling Audio ST77 - everything stock for the moment (no time in the production schedule for messing with the gear just yet).

The details of the custom racking the VP26 and MP73 are here, including details on the DIY anodizing ;-): http://www.evolutionarytheory.com/2011/09/classicapi-vp26-and-sound-skulptor-mp73-preamps-are-finished/
I built these so that Lee could record at her house - she's not very keen on studios.

I've also used an SB4000 that I built too throughout: http://www.evolutionarytheory.com/2011/07/sb4000-bus-compressor-%E2%80%93-build-%E2%80%93-finished/

Just wanted to share these songs to show even bottom of the rung artists like myself are plugging away in the dark recesses making cool music with DIY gear ;-)

I hope you enjoy!

All feedback welcome, good or bad - but remember this was done in the most DIY of ways you could imagine, so I think it's turned out OK considering (within the next year I am hoping to progress much further - building soon some MK47 mics (2 of them) along with some more pres and having access to an actual studio by then too):

regards,

Luke

Not bad for club music. Obviously there's alot more to it than samples, loops....or keyboards.

Either way, it's good to be using your gear and doing something with it. 8)

desol said:
Not bad for club music. Obviously there's alot more to it than samples, loops....or keyboards.

Thanks heaps for taking the time to listen and comment - I really appreciate it!

Yes, unlike 99.99% of my fellow EDM producers, I do not use loops or samples. Everything I produce is made from the individual hit/instrument level and up, always created from scratch. Most of the sounds are from analog gear or presets that I've made myself. I won't want the art of originality to die, which is why it both takes me 100 times longer to make a song, and why I have more fun doing it, but I really think the extra effort is worth it.

etheory said:
desol said:

Thanks heaps for taking the time to listen and comment - I really appreciate it!

Yes, unlike 99.99% of my fellow EDM producers, I do not use loops or samples. Everything I produce is made from the individual hit/instrument level and up, always created from scratch. Most of the sounds are from analog gear or presets that I've made myself. I won't want the art of originality to die, which is why it both takes me 100 times longer to make a song, and why I have more fun doing it, but I really think the extra effort is worth it.

Awesome. I appreciate people that take the hard way instead of the easy way...when it comes to certain things in music.

Latest posts

Back