looking for a compressor for green PSU 1u enclosure

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaurythewarrior

Hi everyone,

I didn't quite know where to post, thought I'd just do it here ...

I successfully built a green pre last summer, and i just started doing a second one with a few spare parts I had ... I'd like to fit a compressor in the enclosure too, but I'm a little lost.

I'm looking for something not too expensive, and which could run on the green pre PSU, so that's 15V. The "What" compressor seemed like a good choice but I can't find the docs aywhere ... I've seen the G1176 by Gyraf which seems like the most popular comp, but as far as I know it's not 15v ...

So does anybody here has any suggestion ? It would be a plus if the PCBs are not hard to find, or else I might try stripboard, if the comp is not too complicated ...

thanks, seems like a nice idea ! i'll take a look as soon as gyraf's website's working again. in the end i've found the docs for the what, problem is nobody seems to be selling the pcbs ...

If you like the 'What Comp' design (and indeed the LA4A), have a look at the JLM opto comp pcb - its simple, tiny and sounds really fine.

It does however, require a line amp to go with it, being just the sidechain and 'opto driven shunt resistor' parts of a opto comp.

ie. your signal drives it, and it produces a variable shunt resistance which you then connect as the gain control resistor of a line amp.

OR - just use in conjunction with JLM's 'Dingo' pcb as he designed  ;D

It is a very, very nice comp.  I added it to a Neotek channel strip I racked up with psu and DI.
I use it as a  guitar channel and the 4 auxes go to effects pedals. You could also control the Green Pre directly with it.

Cheers

-> abe

thanks i'll do that now !

-> alexc

i guess i'll have to read your post a few more times to make sure i understand what you're talking about !

well it seems i'm going for the GSSL ... i have already done most of my bom tonight (i'm in france), based on kev's bom ... there's so much stuff on mouser and free shipping above 75€ and i sometimes wonder why anybody would buy anywhere else ^^

Back