Soundtracs FM - Any opinions?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Soul Rebel

;D

Hi Guys

I picked up a Soundtracs FM about 4 weeks ago from a guy in St Albans who was honestly gonna skip it or give it away as he was moving into a barge, and needed space.

It came in a full on flight case, and a whole 16 channel loom and floor box, neutrik throughout. I gave him the bargain basement price of £70 and he took it.

The Soundtracs was in a state. I needed to strip completely, and redo some pots (which I sourced from Tim at Soundsystems, nice guy) and this is the result (note i've managed to do ALL the channels now, this was an early pic)

IMG_0546.jpg

I'm really pleased with how she's come out. But what is everybody's opinion of SOundtracs, and how much do you think this baby is worth now its fully restored?

Don't know much about them but heard nice things.
What do you think? Have you listened to anything thru it?
I like the modular channel strips. Restoring mixers is something I've done and enjoyed. Always glad to see when someone gets a decent one running right again.
Unfortunately, mixers don't seem to have a lot of value here in the LA area. Saw someone selling a Calrec locally the other day for $500. Couldn't believe, it but almost glad I couldn't afford it, or I'd be messing with it right now...

Well its got one quirky eq I can tell you! wierd x10 type buttons, that take some getting used to. however, it sounds very nice indeed. the EQ is very very usable and works really well on guitars and adds a real nice punch on drums.

What is a slight pain, is that this desk has no direct outs, only inserts. i had to build a modified loom but finally have it feeding 16 channels in and out of my motu 24 1/0.

i've recorded some really nice drums directly through my CAPI VP312s and VP26's with 2520s and 1731s - then summed the stems off into the soundtracs. the result is very musical. Absolutely pisses all over a mackie 8 buss (but what doesn't thats probably blasphemy in these ere' parts).

I'm pleased as punch with the fact that its cost me only £115. I paid £45 for pots, and some replacement knobs from Tim (the Soundtracs Guy). Its a nice sounding desk and a great summing solution for a DAW.

It sounds great on 80's sounding type songs. did a Deacon Blue cover version with my band, and tracked it through half and half, some drums through the capis, and the toms through the desk, along with the guitars. Really pleasing sound and quite good separation.

New Soul Rebel said:
What is a slight pain, is that this desk has no direct outs, only inserts. i had to build a modified loom but finally have it feeding 16 channels in and out of my motu 24 1/0.

Hopefully reviving this thread a little bit, could you tell me more about this mods you did?? I'm really missing at least a couple of D.Outs. I love my FM20, I've done some recapping where needed and I'm looking forward to try some replacements for the TL074s, but no D.Outs is a real bummer!

Designed mainly for small budget broadcast (radio and tv) range,
where similar but more expensive desk was available like various model from Amek and Tac ........

But a Mackie 8 bus with 32-64-8-2 actually can be found for about 500-700 euros ,
in good condition , and without issues... and it can do much more better "things" than that "FM" ,
(also Vlz Pro or Onyx series)

a "short" summary about :

80" age Soundtracs "entry" level series desk , same technology/design of the Pc midi and Mx series
less expensive than Soundcraft 400-500-600 series
but soundcraft 600 sound better ( and more with jim williams "mods") i.m.h.o.

but a day in the early 90" age the Mackie 8 bus arrive in the stores
inline desk with separate summ monitor/return section option assignable to master (2 mixer in 1)
split eq with full mid parametric section
assignable aux send
flip fader option for channel and monitor return
less noise
meterled for each channel
expandable with 16-24 ch sidecar ,
vca automation option with software control
and more options.....

Soundtracs Fm , Pc midi ,Mx etc... series was just discontinued
and the desk model in that range was the Megas series ,
but not inline , less options , 3 times expensive then the 8 bus,

and the Soundcraft series of the same range was the spirit studio,  similar options at similar price of the 8 bus
but Mackie sound better than Megas and Spirit , and better value for money i.m.h.o.

after the Spirit series Soundcraft produces the Ghost desk to oppose the "strong spread" of the 8 bus,
but more expensive and sound a bit clean, "dry" and "cold" than Mackie 8 bus  i.m.h.o.
i prefer the Mackie sound ,

ok the Ghost is single board for each channel , and mackie single board for all desk ,
for that i know the Ghost is more "sensitive" to faults than the Mackie 8 bus ,

Soundtracs tried to "recover"  with 2 new series the "Solo" and the "Topaz"
but  no comparison with the 8 bus , i.m.h.o.

in the meantime (Vst apart) the Pro Tools tdm (with total recall) became more and more accessible ,
replacing many advanced "project" studios gear setups , that included the desks mentioned .

the 2 "cents" i can about.....

SIXTYNINER said:
But a Mackie 8 bus with 32-64-8-2 can be found for about 500-700 euros ,
in good condition , without issues... and it can do much more better "things" than that "FM" ,
(also Vlz Pro or Onyx series)

man you really made me think now... I was just checking a 16ch 8Bus the other day and decided to keep the FM and put some love into it. I've read great things about the FMs sound, and I dig it. I've also read how much better than the 8bus is, but then you write the whole opposite, and I haven't spent enough time an 8bus to make my own mind about it. One thing I do think FM is superior than the Mackies i've used its the EQs, and prob the low end.

If I could easily add Direct Outs to a couple of Mono Channels, I wouldn't ask for more.

Manellus said:
man you really made me think now... I was just checking a 16ch 8Bus the other day and decided to keep the FM and put some love into it. I've read great things about the FMs sound, and I dig it. I've also read how much better than the 8bus is, but then you write the whole opposite, and I haven't spent enough time an 8bus to make my own mind about it. One thing I do think FM is superior than the Mackies i've used its the EQs, and prob the low end.

If I could easily add Direct Outs to a couple of Mono Channels, I wouldn't ask for more.

only "as well"... , 
i can say you that i had a number of  mixdown with more than 50 channels/tracks  on Mackie 8 bus
(32-64-8-2 ,  and 48-96-8-2)
ok it is not a Neve or SSL ,
but a couple of that mixdown was Re-Mix ,
previously mixed with a Soundtracs MX 32-8-16-2 console , the studio version of FM ,
same "engine/design/schematics" (same preamps, eq , aux, master ... and all the rest..) only little different "chassis",

during the "Re-Mix" on Mackie the tracks play from ADAT 20 bit recorders
because tapes was originally recorded with them ,
a bit re-equalized starting from orignal settings made on the Soundtracs MX
with little variations but already the differences could be heard (so better sound) ,
outboard compressors was about the same , some drawmer , dbx , 1176 , same settings as in the mix with Soundtracs ,
reverbs , delays, etc... the same as in the Soundtracs mix with same settings ,
2 tracks Master, same Tascam DA30 II

the result difference ?

" Day and Night ! "

it is possible have good "vibes" making some test on a desk with a single mono or stereo channel ,

but the final true result can be obtained only loading the mixing desk at least at 70% of his "possibility"
reverbs, delays , etc... (send and returns) included

to see if his "pants" fall ,

to most of "small" budget mixers the "pants" fall much earlier than that 70%...

Midas Venice (uk made) apart
that i.m.h.o. is better than the 8 bus ,
probably the latest mackie 3280 with "Perkins" eq is similar ,
but still no chance to test it .

the other 2 cents i can about.

ps
Also other "Re-Mixes" previously mixed with PC-Midi and Megas series was made on Mackie 8 bus ,
and same result , at the end .

Latest posts

Back