Universal Audio 1176LN Limiting Amplifier (Updated Pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Here's a pic of some guts for you guys. I'm not sure how familiar or unfamiliar you are with this particular version. But since there's the G1176 and I know some people here interested in the 1176 I figured this might be of some interest.

Here are some better shots of the unit. They are in a much higher resolution so download them and zoom in if you want.

[I decided to take down all the high resolution pics to free up place on the webspace I have... I don't have that much... if anyone is interested in the pics just PM me and I'll get you some]

... we have had a couple of these types of pictures in the past
BUT
a clear easy to read picture is always useful.

I like it ! :grin:

I should be able to get some clearer pictures tomorrow.

Gyraf:
The PCB reads:
UNIVERSAL AUDIO 1176LN BOARD ASSEMBLY REV2.1

You're right.

And it has XLR's.

And the power transformer is mounted on the pcb (!), not angled at the side of the box.

..but those electrolytics look.. ..OLD..!

and the IEC connector

I dont like the idea of the tranny resting on the PCB... unless theres posts underneath the tranny for support

what up with that shield thing in the back left side?

[quote author="Scenaria"]
what up with that shield thing in the back left side?[/quote]

It appears that the barrier strip is mounted to it... but it's not mounted to the board.

Or perhaps shielding for the input tranny? Is that even necessary?

I serviced one just like it 2 weeks ago, that shield sucks when you are trying to connect test clips during calibration... Yours has had a partial re-cap, there are 4 non original electro's in there, time to change the lot, including those 2 tantalums. Those filter caps would have been through a few electrical storms in the past 20 years I'll bet.

I had trouble finding lamps for the meter, someone had soldered a 12V globe between the 2 lamp holders and made a mess. That blue resistor under the IEC socket is the current limiting/dropper resistor. I found that a pair of 24V truck globes work OK, but I would like to know what were originally used, perhaps you could take a look at what is in there and post the Voltage rating and wattage?

Isnt that a reissue??? I thought the only transformer input units used ouncers and a t attenuator... That totally looks like a new output transformer. Theres a guy around who redesigned the front end to work with a regular pot... Im betting that that is a reissue, albeit maybe an older one.

dave

im betting that one was released in the past 4 or 5 years..

and yea... inputr tranny but no Tatten... must be JH's handy work?

:green:

[quote author="Steve Jones"]If it is a re-issue it is pretty spooky, but as you say, it would be pretty old, those caps are relics.[/quote]
Nah, the Atoms are still like that, they are blue, the old ones are yellow, you can still get Atoms just like that from suppliers like Hoffman Amplifiers and Mojo.
Kelley

Maybe you're right, it does look suspiciously new... I didn't know Mallory was still around, it is certainly a good copy if that's what it is.

I didnt want to be the one to bring it up, but since its out there now, theres about fuck all zero that is "classic" about using a totally different input transformer with an 1176. Thats all I have to say there. If every time they made a change to the circuit, they gave it a new rev., totally redesigning the front end would merit a new revision number...

I remember when andrew first came out the the mc76, everyone talked about how it was "close but not exactly the same" and people either thought it was MUCH cooler because there were improvements, or different enough that he could call it his own thing and that was cool too. Considering that he had those ouncers rewound to the original spec, or at least that was my understanding at the time with the first run MC76, that mc76 has a lot more to do with a rev.d 1176 than the current UA 1176 with a cinemag input transformer. That is a big bite out of the "food for thought" pie right there.

I guess so long as you can call it discreteclassatransformerbalancedthirdharmincdistortion the mix mag crowd that doesnt know any better is gonna buy it anyway. shame when they jump all over a small upstart guy for changing things but dont even fucking mention it when the beloved children of change it more...

dave

Thanks for that bit of insider knowledge, John.

I've got six channels of G1176 stuffed and halfway mounted in boxes, and I am certainly glad I never bought any re-issues. Whilst mine are not likely to sound like 1176 replicas (using sowters that I have lying around as opposed to using original transformers) I would much rather build them myself and save the money rather than have someone else build the 'original' for me and still put in whatever transformers they had lying around to save money for themselves. In the UK, I routinely see second hand originals for sale for about the same price as the new reissues...so who's going to buy a reissue from UA having read this thread...?

Bjorn

yup yup..

UA has driven all of their products to crap all based on profit margins. What IS ashame is that they actually have the ability if they wanted to.. to do it right... they have the finances to handle T600's and ouncers...

so why is it someone like andrew can pull it off with his modest small biz and someone like UA doesnt...

MONEY

All I can do is hope that they mess up the la2a... they are getting close with that HA100 tranny... then one day the damn bloo versions will be closer to the real thing thatn theirs :green:

im sure they will switch the meter one day.. its a real profit crusher :)

Back